Should I keep this scope from Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just on principle, even if delivered scope has equivalent specs, I would return it anyway, just to keep the sales/delivery machine working properly.

Today it was not such a big deal ... tomorrow who knows?

Absolute worst case they could have asked *before* delivery :"sorry, we are out of that particular item, we may offer XXXX instead which is completely equivalent, same specs and price, is it OK with you? ... otherwise we´ll cancel and refund, your choice"
Which has at least a 50/50 possibility of being accepted,you might be in a hurry or price might be very good anyway.

But sticking the wrong label on a product which is *clearly* not the same ... WTF?

Yes. Why the Amazon bashing? Someone tried you rip you off, someone they (Amazon) have no control over, yet they (Amazon) are willing to absorb the exchange cost.
More than reasonable.

Jan
Sorry Jan, but the screen capture says the opposite: the Amazon representative, "Kheira" ,"left the conversation" without even *reading* the problem, let alone offering a solution.

The situation was solved by the original seller on his own, but if he had refused ... customer would have been left out in the cold without Amazon help or care.

727405d1546915548-scope-amazon-amazon-jpg

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Of course he/she left. The customer was acting as a prick, trying at his turn to rip them off. I would immediately have said: we exchange for free, if not, good luck, bye!
He should have accepted free return and full refund, because that's all these outfits like Amazon can do. They're like a distributor in this view.

They were very patient with a rude guy.

Jan

Last edited:
Sorry Jan, but the screen capture says the opposite: the Amazon representative, "Kheira" ,"left the conversation" without even *reading* the problem, let alone offering a solution.
Only a part (small part?) of the chat is shown.
It looks to me that:
The amazon rep offered a prepaid return shipping label, AND free shipping on the next order AND $5 for the inconvenience.
(Did I get that wrong?)
The buyer keeps repeating "$50".
I've never seen a situation (and I've been in a few of these) where a 'bottom tier' customer rep could issue cash for inconvenience - the corporations I've dealt with don't allow that. It looked like the customer rep was saying that somebody at a higher level would need to deal with the problem.
But it is hard to tell from that excerpt of the chat.

I agree that slapping a Siglent sticker on the Rigol box is a definite 'WTF'! :)

And the hassle of having to return an item 'across the border' is real, and there's no excuse for treating the customer this way. Especially when the item was a (Christmas?) gift.

It's good to hear that Siglent (Canada) will sell direct to the customer.
I'd like to hear how that works out - often the manufacturer prices are much above the actual retail, but if not, I'd always prefer to 'deal direct'.

I wanted what I ordered. I wanted a replacement. They could not replace the item. They offered me a refund but it would not cover the cost for me to buy the item again from Amazon. The price was higher and shipping fees were also added. The $5 gift was a slap in the face. I am not going to post the entire ramble on here but it is an absolute joke. It was torture and painful.

The scope has been sent back, full refund on my credit card in two or three days. I had to leave work to go to the post office today and wait in line of course. I had to suffer there with two mentally ill women trying to post a letter but they did not know how to address the envelope or where the return address was supposed to go. The post master and I had to help them out. I got a $40 parking ticket for helping the mentally ill.

Siglent in British Columbia is going to ship me a SDS1202x-E tomorrow.

Jan can stick his point of view up his .... but everybody is entitled, we are on an open forum. I can smash one of his regulator boards tonight and enjoy a two finger scotch while I do it. I'll just take the opamps off first.

Such is life. I guess the kid will reap the benefit and I can sit back and laugh at this silly world. I am well and happy. Good dear good.

Some years ago I bought a laptop from Amazon UK. The touchpad was very erratic, I asked to return it, and got a refund with no hassle. I thought this was very good customer service.

If you buy something expensive from Amazon, my advice would be to make sure it is actually sold by Amazon, not by a marketplace seller; with Amazon you know where you are, with a third-party seller you have no idea what their reaction will be in the event of any issues.

Consumer protection laws, in particular with regard to distance selling, are pretty good here in the UK. Trying to enforce those laws with marketplace sellers, especially those in another country, might be a different matter altogether.

FluxRemover, I'm not sure how you can expect more than just a full refund plus return postage paid. Just my two Euro cents worth...

And as for:

Jan can stick his point of view up his.... [] I can smash one of his regulator boards tonight and enjoy a two finger scotch while I do it.

I think you need to cool off a bit and issue an apology.

But sticking the wrong label on a product which is *clearly* not the same ... WTF?

It is called fraud. But according to some I have no right to demand Amazon to compensate me to buy the item I already just purchased from them. Like I was demanding the $50 dollars just because I wanted it? I needed the $50 so I could buy the same damn thing off Amazon and keep my credit card flat.

I always pay with American Express on AMZN -- they are ruthless on returns and defend their clientelle like a mother lioness.

Saying this, I am quite pleased with Amazon. My best purchase was a 500g of corticated cardamon for a few bucks.

When Tropical Storm Sandy was about to hit NYC, there were no "AA" batteries to be found in NYC. My son ordered two dozen via AMZN and they arrived less than a day later via Prime and before the storm.

Hi,

why to buy at Crapazone in first place? The designated distributors offer far more aside the cheap buy.
Certainly a Company:
- not environment friendly
- exploiting employees
- not paying ´enough´ taxes, hence not fulfilling their social responsibilties
Like Apple and alike Mega-companies.
Hopefully You have a good explanation at hand when Your grandchildren ask You why You hand them over a environmentally destroyed planet ..... "because I was lazy and ordering from Amazon was oh soo convenient" is probabely not the best answer.

jauu
Calvin

I ordered a Siglent SDS1202X-E at the suggestion of yoaudio in post #4 of this thread.
I ordered the scope from Techno-Test in Laval, Quebec for $500 CAD
Friendliest sales person ever.
Gave me free shipping to match Amazon's equivalent-ish price.
Received the scope in a day or two, I ordered late.

I can now say the scope Amazon seller sent me by Rigol was old and re-sold several times. It was not a fresh box and the tape on the top had been through a few passes. The contents were vacant and the power cord had no wrapper.

The Siglent from Techno-Test had two probes, power cord, USB cord and a startup guide. All items were sealed in their own bags.

I like what I see. I get to play with this for a few days but after a few hours and a few cans of cider I am in love. I think for $500 this thing is amazing and I will buy one for myself. My nephew will xxxx his pants when I give a tour of this thing. He will certainly fall in love too.

The menus are full of options and some exploration is required. I don't need this thing but now I want one. It makes the old Hameg look naked. The 6 x 3.5 inch screen seems twice the size and COLOR! OMG...wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.