Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Any Omnimic 2 users?
Any Omnimic 2 users?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2018, 06:32 PM   #1
Zero Cool is offline Zero Cool  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Any Omnimic 2 users?

Just curious if there are any Dayton Omnimic 2 users here? I just bought one and the ability to do speaker distortion measurements sold me on it.

I used to have a SMAART system years ago but no longer have a mic or USB mic preamp etc. the Dayton system looks like a decent, usable system for basic speaker/room tuning.

Any tips/tricks? discussions? problems?
Old 8th December 2018, 08:01 PM   #2
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Any Omnimic 2 users?
Well, I use it

Biggest tip is that when you need to figure out how to do something with it, search in it's help file, there's a lot in there. It may not be the best written Help ever, but I think it's pretty thorough.

Distortion is a more complicated thing than a lot of DIYers seem to consider. Keep in mind that nonlinear distortion depends on level -- an X% (0r -XdB) distortion number means about nothing without info about what level it is being played and how far away it is being measured from, so make sure you get that too! You need to have the setup relatively free of noise, echoes and reflections for a decent measurement which usually means the mic has to be relatively close to the speaker. But too close and too loud can cause the mic itself to distort so there's usually a balancing act to deal with. And people can get obsessed with harmonic or other nonlinear distortions, as if the lowest distortion drivers will always sound the best, even though research indicates that people just aren't very sensitive to it in fact.
Old 8th December 2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Michael Chua is offline Michael Chua  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Zero

I use the Omnimic2 most of the time.

It's very convenient and fast. Great for speaker development.

I particularly like the Toneburst Energy Storage (TES) and the Wavelet Spectrogram.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #4
Zero Cool is offline Zero Cool  United States
diyAudio Member

I need to do some speaker tuning and the speaker distortion measurement interest's me the most. I need to sit down and read the manual. My old SMAART system was pretty easy to use but very limited comparatively.
I figured out how to get my mic cal file installed but have not had much time to really spend with it yet.

Any Omnimic 2 users?Hide this!Advertise here!