Matching Tubes on a Tektronix 575 Curve Tracer Fixture

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rayma,

Understood, thank you.

Plan is to test mostly 12A*7 tubes, some 6L6 family tubes, and some 5U4G rectifiers. Supplying filament supply with a Variac, adjusting the AC Volts with a DMM. Grid voltage will be supplied with a DC power supply.

Some of the terminology varies. For example:
Filament= Heater
Plate = Anode
Grid = Screen

I've made tube fixtures for my 576 by stacking two 3x4 PCBs, drilling out the PCBs for banana plugs to match the 576 fixture and mounting two 9 pin sockets on the top layer PCB with a toggle switch to select triode A or B. Boards are held together with metal spacers and there is a screw facing down on the bottom layer to hit the safety interlock on the 576. Pretty easy to build, can be done in about an hour or less.

I've also built fixtures for 6L6/EL34/6550, which have a separate power input for screen grid. I use a bench top supply for the filaments.

Wow! Thanks to all for the great information!

Something like this screenshot is what I'm looking to build.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 9.29.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 9.29.12 AM.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 119
Like this:

For one thing, those are the incorrect sockets. I think you showed a sketch of the 9-pin miniature and the 8-pin octal.

From what I understand to properly trace the tubes you'll need to have the correct operating voltages. 6550s for an Ampeg SVT were talking +650V. That is fun. Do you have any GE6550s? or maybe some KT88s?

Don't take my word for it, but on the 6l6 types and other octals, isn't pin 8 to chassis ground, if I recall. At least in Fenders and through a 1 ohm or 10 ohm resistor can check the bias level indirectly.

The 10 ohm resistor gives you an extra digit on hand held meters.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.