Function Generator for Bode Plots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I am using a 3000series Picoscope with inbuilt 1MHz AWG, which is unsufficient for Bode Plots with some circuits having a bandwidth of >1MHz. So I am looking for an external function generator to replace it.

The budget is max. 1000€ but even more important is that this device will do it once and for all. Means, I don't want to find a usecase in the future which is not supported by this device.

I am thinking of getting a Rigol DG4102 (almost 900€) and 100MHz bandwith. Based on your experience, is that enough for all audio related use cases (amplifier development)?

Thanks!

Both options, Keysight and Analogue Discovery are interesting, but my question was about the bandwidth the equipment needs to cover all imaginable use cases in audio development. My point is that I don't want to buy something and 6 month later encounter a usecase where it's bandwidt is not sufficient or software does not support a required function or so...

So the question is, whether the 10 or 20MHz are enough.

...but my question was about the bandwidth the equipment needs... My point is that I don't want to...6 month later encounter a usecase where it's bandwidth] is not sufficient or software does not support a required function or so...

Tests for oscillation and such should have more than 10 MHz bandwidth, but that's only in the scope. 10 MHz looks sufficient for a Bode plot of practically any reasonable audio amplifier. Is it worth it to spent much more for a capability "just in case"? I am more inclined to spend $99 - in the unlikely event that in the future I need a 100 MHz Bode plot then no doubt the improvements in A/D converters will make it affordable then. I understand it's a nuisance to learn to use a new tool but the pace of tech advancement makes it uneconomic to buy equipment now to cover all conceivable future requirements. The $99 ADALM200 does what would have taken many $1000s worth of HP equipment a while back. But Tom's scope sure looks nice if you have the money to spend.

Best wishes David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.