Rohde & Schwarz UPL 16 Loses Hard Drive Config at Power Down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
UPL error on boot

Hi,
Seems like I have the same kind of issue with my ULP16 that just stopped from booting up

Floppy error (40)
CMOS checksum error
CMOS battery error

I'm thinking about replacing the battery, but what more would be needed according to your experience?

BR
/Anders

If you're lucky, it's just the CR2032 button cell that expired. It's on the component side of the top PCB, which is the PC motherboard, mounted inverted over the Digital PCB.
Be careful with the keyboard wiring that goes to the DIN jack on the rear apron. Those wires are very brittle and one usually breaks every time I flip this board over.

Unfortunately, my UPL 16 does not respond to a new battery. It's got intermittent issues. Sometimes it will retain CMOS for a few months and other times not. I hope you don't have that problem. I have to leave my running 24/7 and I already have a $740+ monthly electric bill without leaving equipment running overnight.

Thanks for sharing all of this work, amazing resource. I recently purchased one of these for myself and have read this a few times in anticipation of it actually arriving.

Just wondering if there was any information regarding option B1 - the Low Distortion oscillator. Looking over various listings gives me the impression this is a relatively rare option, or at least those who have it aren't selling!

Have to assume this is a hardware option, any information on it?

Cheers

The B1 is a hardware card. It contains a crystal-generated oscillator (with additional.shielding), which has lower THD than a digitally-generated one.

On our UPVs, it gives around 6dB improvement THD+N. I'd imagine this is the same on paper for a UPL.

They are surprisingly rare on UPLs. I am sure there is a reason for this, I.e. the demographics break down more in favour of broadcast / commercial products than audio nerds.

NB - I have never bothered comparing the B1's advantage in terms of THD alone against THD+N... This would be interesting... I might do it later -) I suspect it will be greater for THD alone as the noise from the analyser will account for a good proportion of THD+N

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The B1 is a hardware card. It contains a crystal-generated oscillator (with additional.shielding), which has lower THD than a digitally-generated one.

I'm a little confused here. I have seen and even built audio frequency crystal oscillators but they are not flexible and the crystals are huge. Or is this an independent crystal referenced linear oscillator? Schematics and pictures of either would be really interesting.

A 36 bit ADC would (theoretically) have extremely low distortion.

IF:

1. The program generating the values is accurate to 36 bits.
  2. The analog parts of the ADC are up to handling the required dynamic range.
Sine wave values are often generated by approximations. You would need a really good method for calculating sine values from time values to get low distortion.

You'd have to use something other than floats or double precision floats to hold your numbers. I'm pretty darn sure that you'll run into some of the imprecision of floating point numbers when generating 36 bit values. I'm also pretty sure that those imprecisions will cause distortion in various ways that will have you pulling your hair out of you don't know about floating point imprecisions.

At 36 bits, you are at around 0.01 nanovolt per count. Can you imagine building a circuit where the noise from the circuit itself is low enough to get that precision? I can't. Microvolts are hard enough.

Many math softwares calculate in float64 (double), where would the problem with sine precision and conversion to 36bit integer arise?

Test of sine generation in octave (= matlab):

Code:
>> format bit
>> sin(0.5)
ans = 0011111111011110101011101110100001110100010010110000010111110000
>> sin(0.5000000000000001)
ans = 0011111111011110101011101110100001110100010010110000010111110010
>> tic; sin(0.5000000000000001); toc
Elapsed time is 4.69685e-05 seconds.

But I may be missing something...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.