Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Amber Distortion Meter Readings
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2018, 04:48 PM   #11
Chamberman is offline Chamberman  United States
diyAudio Member

I do own a pair of them. A 3501 & 3501A. The 3501A came with the 358 digital freq meter on it which is a nice addition. It'll display freq's up to 1MHz which is well above the 3501's measurement capability.

If you haven't replaced the tantalum caps in yours yet then you should do that immediately. Its just a matter of time before one of them shorts out. I didn't replace the tants on the input board of one of my 3501s (I planned to but forgot) and of course one of them started smoking on me a few months ago.
Old 8th November 2018, 06:27 PM   #12
KenwoodM2A is offline KenwoodM2A  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Speaking of high distortion .5% from a tuner is pretty high. However it maybe leakage of the subcarrier beacon at 19 KHz. You should follow the instructions for tuning the trap before making any measurements. .01% with a significant signal level is quite attainable with a decent FM tuner.

Actually the deck that I refurbished and aligned is an old Kenwood KRC-939 Car deck. I am in the process of checking the alignment of the tuner and adjusting as required. Everything was pretty much dead on from factory settings of the pots. The final distortion level is .35 %
Old 8th November 2018, 06:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
I do own a pair of them. A 3501 & 3501A. The 3501A came with the 358 digital freq meter on it which is a nice addition. It'll display freq's up to 1MHz which is well above the 3501's measurement capability.

If you haven't replaced the tantalum caps in yours yet then you should do that immediately. Its just a matter of time before one of them shorts out. I didn't replace the tants on the input board of one of my 3501s (I planned to but forgot) and of course one of them started smoking on me a few months ago.

Someone else who has one of these units mentioned that to me as well about the tantalum caps.
I will have to look into it.
Did you have a hard time finding replacement tantalum's of the same value?
Old 9th November 2018, 04:37 AM   #14
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

You can get electrolytics that are a suitable replacement. They are used as low ESR bypass filters around the sensitive parts of the circuits. These may be a suitable option https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/3...35-1095274.pdf The dipped tantalum caps are getting expensive and have a nasty habit of failing as a short.
Old 9th November 2018, 04:49 AM   #15
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
<snip>

I had one actually catch on fire in my 3501A some years ago now, fortunately no real damage done, but if burned just like a candle.. They're just a bundle of mischief waiting to happen.
Old 10th November 2018, 04:43 AM   #16
Chamberman is offline Chamberman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenwoodM2A View Post
Someone else who has one of these units mentioned that to me as well about the tantalum caps.
I will have to look into it.
Did you have a hard time finding replacement tantalum's of the same value?
No they're not terribly expensive or hard to find. I sourced all of mine from Mouser and I moved up from 25V to 35V rated Tants. I'm not sure if the voltage headroom will buy any more life out of them, but it certainly cannot hurt. My take on the tantalums is that the originals lasted 30+ years so I'll likely be gone from this world before the batch of new ones I installed begins to fail in my 3501.
Old 11th November 2018, 01:36 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No they're not terribly expensive or hard to find. I sourced all of mine from Mouser and I moved up from 25V to 35V rated Tants. I'm not sure if the voltage headroom will buy any more life out of them, but it certainly cannot hurt. My take on the tantalums is that the originals lasted 30+ years so I'll likely be gone from this world before the batch of new ones I installed begins to fail in my 3501.
Thanks!
I will replace mine and the electrolytic ones as well as soon as I'm done checking 3 more tuners. Hopefully I won't have any issues until I'm done !

Amber Distortion Meter ReadingsHide this!Advertise here!