Any Audio Precision owners in the Dallas-Ft Worth area?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently picked up a clean used AP Sys1 and I'm interested in testing it out. It was of course AS-IS so I'm not certain what if anything it needs. I've been talking with Duke (Audio1man) and I'm on the list to get a USB-APIB adapter but its going to be at best late in November before I see that. Curiosity has set in and I'd like to at a minimum connect this Sys1 up to a working APIB system computer and run the check routine on it to get an idea what if anything I might need to do to it. If a local DFW diyer would be willing to connect it up for me I'd be highly appreciative... I'll gladly bring along a 12 pack of your favorite beverage or buy you lunch at your favorite BBQ joint, etc... :D

You can PM me if you like or post in the thread.

Just to reassure anyone that might help me out. I'm not looking for someone to service this unit just plug it in and run the check. I realized on my way to work today that someone might be worried that I'd try to get them to work on or repair my AP and I can assure you that won't happen.

I bought a Sys One as a project about 4 years back and while waiting for Udo to finish the USB cable I picked up a used Dell Inspiron Win 98 laptop off of eBay. I was able to install the software and even get the calibration utility working in DOS! I used a modified dSub cable provided to me by the seller of the Sys One.

It was a blast to figure it out all out and calibrate the unit, it performed beautifully even after 30 years. I sold it and use a Prism dScope now but the Sys One really is a thing of beauty.

Enjoy.

Hi Ruairi,

I thought about going that route. I've got a good bit of computer experience from building my own computers between work/friends/family over the past 20+ years, beginning in the 486 days. However about 3 years back I went through and tossed all of my old software that I had been storing for so many years, DOS, Win 95 install floppies, Win 98, Win 98SE, everything that predated Win XP and even XP I thought about tossing, but held onto for the time being. Anyway if the wait for the USB adapter is only going to be a month or so then I'll just wait. If it was a lot longer than that I'd be exploring alternatives.

For now just running the system check would go a long way towards satisfying my curiosity...

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
DOS boot-disk images are readily available free. Burn the ISO to a CD, set your PC to boot CD, walla, DOS!

I have seen MS-DOS 6 images. The one I snagged was incomplete but may be what you need for this. There are several competing DOSes which have fallen into the no-charge zone. DR-DOS was always a good option.

The unit I have is a 22A so I was under the impression that my only option for interfacing was APIB and that a straight serial connection is only possible with an AP that had the serial option. If I'm wrong on that let me know.

If I had gone with an older computer I would have built a Win98 system and used the LPT-APIB adapter.

Well I got impatient and decided to buy one of the APIB - LPT kits that Duke sells. I had some cheap Win 98 computer options available to me through a friend so that made the decision easy. Luckily my AP S1 Ebay find was a good one. The AP S1 I bought is passing all of the system checks and appears to be working great. I've spent several nights playing with the APWIN software and I'm finally getting used to it. It sure would've been nice to have an experienced AP'er around for an hour or two to bounce questions off of when I first powered it up but I'm getting there...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.