Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Bosch vs Makita router
Bosch vs Makita router
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2018, 01:33 AM   #51
Tromperie is offline Tromperie  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've had some Bosch tools over an extended period. Years ago, they were very good but my last few purchases have shown a marked deterioration in quality; the 7 1/4" circular saw (the blue more expensive model) was such rubbish, I took it back for a refund.

Recently, my Ryobi (yeah, I know but it was a long time ago) died when I was routing speaker holes so bought another Ryobi, immediately suffered buyer's regret, took it back because it was utter rubbish and got one of these;
https://www.makita.com.sg/product/m3600g

It has performed brilliantly, is solid, heavy, powerful, and has depth control as well as depth stops. While it doesn't have a soft-start, I can live with that. Highly recommended.
Old 20th October 2018, 05:58 AM   #52
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Just take a look at the brand(s) the contractor/ builder uses day in and day out and get that one.

Buy the Makita.

THx-RNMarsh
Old 20th October 2018, 06:13 AM   #53
astrojet is offline astrojet
diyAudio Member

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'll pipe in my $0.02. As many have said, trim and plunge routers serve different purposes. However, you CAN cut circles with a trimmer and you CAN trim laminate with a big plunge or fixed-base router. I've got a few and my favourite is a big 1/2" Makita 2301. If you ever want to fix it to a table and cut big roundovers or huge bevels or use any other big bits, variable speed is necessary.
Old 20th October 2018, 06:17 PM   #54
Navyblue is offline Navyblue  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I have decided to go for a trim router, I think it suits my needs better. I'll be lucky to build a pair of speakers every 5 years.

By looking at contractors around here, they do carry high end Bosch drills. But for cheaper stuffs it is indeed always Makita, even the hobbyist MT series. Never seen those cheaper blue Chinese Bosch though. That's saying something I think.

We have all kinds of Dewalt tools, but for some reason no router. Or so I thought, I just notice a single model is available, and on sale. The cheapest one, they just arrived on the market it seems. Nice thing about it is it has LED light, but apparently a very fragile base according to Amazon reviews. Not too big of a deal as I intend to get the third party base. Priced the same as the cheapest Makita.

I have been meaning to pull the trigger, too much diddling already. But schedule have not been forgiving lately. I can only start my work on the speakers a few weeks later and should have it before then.

Bosch vs Makita routerHide this!Advertise here!