Controleo3 DIY reflow oven

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had been using a toaster oven, or hotplate for SMT stuff. Decided to spring for the Controleo3 MCU controller. Just ran the learning cycle and it works perfectly. You can use the controller for reflow or baking IC's.

The kit comes with solid-state relays, ceramic blanket, various other insulation and of course the touch-screen and MCU.

There's a servo which opens the door to cool the oven down -- much better than the "armstrong" method.

I was fortunate to only cut myself once in taking apart the Black and Decker oven.

Attachments

• Controleo_a.jpg
    Controleo_a.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 595
  • Controleo_b.jpg
    Controleo_b.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 559
  • Controleo_c.jpg
    Controleo_c.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 571
  • Controleo_d.jpg
    Controleo_d.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 554
  • Controleo_e.jpg
    Controleo_e.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Whizoo gives you two "profile" examples -- these can be downloaded to Notepad and modified to fit the profile of the SMD paste you are using. In my case Chipquik leaded (keep it refrigerated.) These are then written to an SD card.

I did time and temperature for about 10 runs until I created a profile which matches the graph on the Chipquik datasheet.

The servo allows you to visit the gents while your board cooks.

oh, I rearranged my workspace to have one bench for builds and another for tests.

I switched back to leaded paste for the lower temps. Currently using Kester from OSH Stencil and I'm quite happy with it. Used Chipquik brand lead-free previously. Always refrigerated, warmed up >4hrs prior to use.

And don't forget to ventilate the room for the reflows! The ovens/flux put out quite a stench and plume...

BK

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
And don't forget to ventilate the room for the reflows!

There's a servo which opens the door to cool the oven down -- much better than the "armstrong" method.

So maybe a sensor that monitors the door, activate a wireless transmitter that triggers a receiver located near a window, that starts a timed circuit to open the window, start a fan, and after a while power down the fan and close the window again. :D

Or just get a small ventilation kit, put it on a timer.

The oven looks like a really nice piece of equipment though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.