downcut router bit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
...just it feels "lumpy" as i cut the wood, like there are patches of different density im cutting through. I assumed this was due to grain direction changing.
It is. I feel that in plywood, too. In particle board or MDF it's smooth. Those cabinets are amazing. Maybe cutting into the end of the ply like that is tougher than from the side. I've never tried that.

Thanks for the compliments on the cabinets guys, im going to update the threads where i developed the designs (with lots of nice advice, particularly from David (planet10) when i get round to it.

Regarding the router, i will give it a thorough checkup for any warping or potential wobbles, and try with some better bits. On some test pieces obviously.

Ill probably get a 3/8 straight bit for the major cuts, ( is bosch a good brand for bits? Local (expensive) shop sells bosch 3/8 straight cut for 28 euros.. Seems a lot..)

3/8 should hopefully be more durable, then that whiteside 1/4 downcut spiral for finishing the edges. Lots of shallow passes. Unless i really have no luck testing, id obviouls like to avoid a new router! Maybe i can borrow one, but then my custom circle jig will be wasted.

Couple more pics..

Its 2x dual alpair 7 fullrangers, with two dayton 10 inch subs.. All running on a six channel amp and minidsp combo i built last year.. Should be finished sometime in the next years :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180910_095900.jpg
    IMG_20180910_095900.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20180910_095752.jpg
    IMG_20180910_095752.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 63
It's got to be more of a ripping motion going into endgrain/cross grain rather than cross-cross from the top. Still something doesn't seem to be adding up, and certainly not the number of snapped bits.

The problems ive been having are just doing circles in bog standard flat birch ply, ive not attemoted the end grain stuff yet! As you can imagine im putting it off ;)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...my cheap *** router? ...

That's a LAMINATE TRIMMER, isn't it?

It will cut 1/16" Formica fine.

It is NOT what I would use for heavy cuts in solid wood.

A Real Router has two handles and pulls (fictional) 10+Amps at 120V (5+A for you 230V folk).

$70 Ryobi (marginal)
$100 Ryobi
$150 Porter-Cable

Yes, a router will feed more/less as you go with/against grain or through knots. I have not done heavy routes in plywood, and never "good" plywood. I strongly suggest you make a pile of scrap (lumberyard often has a reject pile) and make a couple gallons of router-dust before you go near your good wood again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.