Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

downcut router bit
downcut router bit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2018, 11:23 AM   #21
richie00boy is offline richie00boy  United Kingdom
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

downcut router bit
I wonder if you have 6mm spindle bits in a 1/4 inch collet.
With smaller diameter bits you will need to turn the speed up. But if it's not burning it's largely ok.
Old 20th September 2018, 01:04 PM   #22
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I would probably use a larger bit, and have the part cut with a jig saw close to the finished dimensions.
The last time I used a router was to make some oak flooring in huge arcs to go around a fireplace, and the adjacent flooring as well. Huge smoky mess, destroyed a good bit, but got it done...
Old 20th September 2018, 01:24 PM   #23
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

downcut router bit
That seems strange. I cut a lot of circles in plywood, and don't have those problems. 1/2" I cut in two passes. The only troubles I've had is when using a flush trim bit with 3/4" solid walnut. following a template. I've gotten better at it, but have broken 2 spiral flush trim bits. I now use a 2 flute straight bit.

Are you going too slowly with your circle cut?
Old 20th September 2018, 03:17 PM   #24
robinlawrie is offline robinlawrie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hm, i cant imagine im going too slowly, if anything i fear i was going too fast, definitely no sign of burnt wood or smoke.. I think i couldnt believe i needed to go so slowly with 3-4 passes.. Im used to jigsawing things. Seems routing is rather more time consuming?

Anyway now im on the market for a straight bit to finish my second sub cutout as well.. I could buy a 3/8 one, as i have a collet for that size too, i just didnt want to stress my little palm router too much.

Ah, and i measured the bits that broke. All 6.45 mm, not 6mm, and were a snug fit in the collet even when it was open. So there was certainly some force on the bit to make it pull down into the work.. Could going too fast cause that?
Old 20th September 2018, 03:21 PM   #25
GASCo is offline GASCo  United States
diyAudio Member

downcut router bit
It is really curious that you say that you can even see jaw marks on the bit shafts. What means the chuck is working fine but there is a good amount of force pulling the bit out.

If they're straight cut I'm baffled about what could be pulling them out.
Old 20th September 2018, 03:39 PM   #26
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

downcut router bit
I realized that my spiral buts are UPcut, not down. So they pull toward the router base. Don't know if that's making the difference from your downcut bits.

As for speed, I certainly go faster with the 1/4" router bit than I do with a jigsaw, much faster. Of course the router isn't doing it in one pass, like the jigsaw, and no need to carefully follow a line with the router circle jig. One pass works just fine and plenty fast in 1/4" MDF, but anything thicker is done in two passes, at least.

Before I learned about the spiral bits I just used 1/4" straight bits for circles. Seemed to work OK. Let us know what your results are.
Old 20th September 2018, 03:58 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Yeah im mystified. It wasnt a smooth experience either, maybe im not used to the noise of a router, but it screams. My ears are still ringing. (well i have tinitus so maybe thats normal) also i had assumed it would run more smoothly. The level of resistance to me pushing varied quite a lot as i rotated through the grain directions. Made keeping a steady speed a bit tricky.

I went to a couple of carpenters shops this morning to ask for a price for them to cut my translam holes for me. Both took one look at my irreplaceable cnc cut translam cabinets and said they didnt want the responsibility of messing them up. Yay! So im kinda on my own (apart from you lot obviously

Here is a pic of the plunge base in my circle jig and half finished hole for sub:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180920_110241.jpg (549.1 KB, 68 views)
Old 20th September 2018, 04:00 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Here are the speakers i need to cut the end grain holes in:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180910_100026.jpg (536.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 20th September 2018, 04:02 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

And here are the snapped bits:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180920_170126.jpg (454.2 KB, 70 views)
Old 20th September 2018, 04:19 PM   #30
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

How wide is the groove that's cut? Does it look dovetailed? I'm worried about whether everything is square and you're side loading the bit.

downcut router bitHide this!Advertise here!