Connector holder for soldering/welding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like many on the forum, I make most of my own cables. I recently found something that has made it a bit easier to solder some types of connectors. It is a bit pricey, but has saved some burnt/hot fingers. It is a rather nice block of silicon so it's not going to melt at solder temperatures.

I have no vested interest in the product, just a satisfied customer.

YMMV

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 223
  • S2.jpg
    S2.jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 221
Joined 2011
I recently found something that has made it a bit easier to solder
some types of connectors. It is a bit pricey

Looks nice for heavy users. For light users, the connector can be mounted in its intended
chassis mounting hole for soldering, perhaps turned around on the outside for better access.

Or, you can punch out suitable holes in a piece of aluminum that is weighted enough
to stay put, or else is attached to the bench.

Last edited:
We called them solder blocks in our shop, for want of a better name.

We had one made of a hunk of 4x4 wood, with a flat bit of plywood as a base. We had another made of two pieces of 2x6, one set at right angles to the other. Then we mounted various connectors on the block.

Unfortunately none of these remind you to put the connector cover over the cable BEFORE soldering on the connector itself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.