ABx Switcher

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you and sorry for my bad explanation, my english is poor.

When experiencing ABX tests my panelist required some improvements based (or issued) from the mastering world. In mastering, when a sound engineer need to compare tunes he usually has two choices when switching between A and B. Either let the music flow or when he switch between A and B the music replay the exact pervious tune.

The way of doing is possible only with digital source, it's a common feature in ABX software, softwares are usually designed to check compression, artifacts, or even formats. When using an analog source (who still use that?) the "replay" fonction is lost.

Hope it's a bit more clear.

Concerning the relay, I'm using high quality relays used in automatic test programmation automates. Try to google "ruthenium relay reed". Such high quality relays will switch MHz signals or nanovolt levels forever in a ABX tester, their performance will not degrade like chinese relay. Their noise is less than a swiss quartz clock. The relay configuration allows me to either "insert" (in and out) any audio component like preamps amps filters almost anything or use two sources like mains cables, players or two "loads" like a speaker or an active monitor. I build connectors adapters depending on the application

The load remain bridged with 12R resistor when not "on air" keeps tubes guru less nervous.

Regards,

PF

Hi PF,

Thank you for explaining to me- don't worry about the bad english. You could stack all of my ability in French and German on the head of a pin and it would not fall off- so I have nothing to be critical about. :)

That is a great information concerning looping audio vs. simple switching!! I am familiar with this, but not in the context of AB switching to audition gear. It's definitely usable information, although with analog it may be a bit more difficult to implement, as you pointed out.

Regarding the relays, I will definitely check them out and do some research. I haven't found anything that handles contact bounce as good as mercury (wetted or displacement), but RoHS has completely thrown a monkey wrench (a.k.a "spanner") in the gears on using those. Thanks again for the tip!

Also appreciate the tip regarding loading of tube amps. Clearly I have a lot more learning to do before I attempt to tackle that feature support.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.