Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

PC USB scope project.
PC USB scope project.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2019, 03:59 AM   #41
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Kudos to you.

Looks like you've made some serious progress.

Nice.
Old 7th July 2019, 04:06 AM   #42
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromo View Post
Kudos to you.

Looks like you've made some serious progress.

Nice.
I am currently getting a new pcb made in China and they are going to solder the microcontroller and fast external A2D for me. I will do the rest as its still through hole. I will probably go to all SMD at some point.
I just build on the previous version of software for the faster version.
The external A2D is easier than using the one on the microcontroller as its just reading a port as fast as possible and dumping data into RAM. Its then sent out via USB.
Old 7th July 2019, 09:40 AM   #43
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Kool as bro'

I haven't gone down the path of an O'scope yet. No rush. But when the time comes, it would be heart warming to back "home grown" .. if you get my drift.

Keep the updates coming..

Last edited by astromo; 7th July 2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10th July 2019, 01:05 AM   #44
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

PC USB scope project.
Wow, I've seen a lot of stuff from you Nigel, have to say that you are a multi-talented guy!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10th July 2019, 03:05 AM   #45
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

PC USB scope project.
Nigel,
Very impressive! Keep the updates coming. This is very interesting.

-Chris
Old 11th July 2019, 02:40 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Still waiting for my new usb scope hardware to arrive.
So got my previous version out and started writing code on it for my new hardware.
I was a bit disappointed to find I could only get about 4MHz sampling rate.
After a little help from Microchip forums I managed to get it up to 10MHZ but that looks about the limit for the microcontroller I am using. While it is 200MHz it doesn't run code that fast. It seems to run about a fifth of that speed so I guess it must be about 5 clock cycles per instruction.
I have to clock out data from the a2d so it takes time to clock the I/o pin and then read the i/o port then store the data in a memory buffer.
Old 11th July 2019, 02:11 PM   #47
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

PC USB scope project.
Hi Nigel,
It looks like you're going to have to use another A/D converter and use the PIC products for control and maybe features. The PIC could run math functions on the data before displaying it. If you use a small PIc for overall housekeeping and functions & range selections, then the faster PICs for math functions and display you could end up with one heck of a nice 'scope.

-Chris
Old 11th July 2019, 07:11 PM   #48
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Still waiting for my new usb scope hardware to arrive.
So got my previous version out and started writing code on it for my new hardware.
I was a bit disappointed to find I could only get about 4MHz sampling rate.
After a little help from Microchip forums I managed to get it up to 10MHZ but that looks about the limit for the microcontroller I am using. While it is 200MHz it doesn't run code that fast. It seems to run about a fifth of that speed so I guess it must be about 5 clock cycles per instruction.
I have to clock out data from the a2d so it takes time to clock the I/o pin and then read the i/o port then store the data in a memory buffer.
Most PICs use 4 clock cycles per instruction. Also, this type of high-connectivity chips have programmable clock-wait-cycles in their data I/O operations. Maybe you can change the defaults to run it faster, there's several registers involved.
Never used this one but looked at it some time ago for another project.

Jan

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 11th July 2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11th July 2019, 07:35 PM   #49
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I have absolutely no experience with these MCUs - but the parallel master port + DMA combination looks like the best performing way of parallel data transfer

e.g. Embedded Engineering : PIC32MX DMA Performance Test , PMP Parallel Master Port DMA Performance (Specifically PIC32MX470F512H) 10MHz x 32bit rate with 120MHz MCU.

I have no idea if that is practically viable for the transfer from the ADC.
Old 11th July 2019, 10:16 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Using best discrete code so far I can get 12.5MHz sampling rate.
I don't think PMP or DMA would do it much faster as they still use same PIC bus.

PC USB scope project.Hide this!Advertise here!