Interface for Room EQ Wizard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I want to start using Room EQ Wizard for speaker tuning and room compensation. I already have a Behringer ECM800 microphone, 50’ mic cable, and a DEQ2496 EQ. What I need is an interface (phantom power supply for the mic) and a cable to connect it to my Mackbook. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive solution?

When it comes to gadgets I couldn't live without.....

Behringer second-hand mic mixer, with of few channels, of course, when I faced the same question.

Yes, has power supply but also lets you control volumes (with LED display of course) or at least see the levels in and out.

A lot more flexible and with a lot more controls and benefits than a USB mic just plugged into a USB port or the PS400. All measurements I make of this unit are as clean as could be.

Well, at least other readers might benefit from this late post.*

B.
*big storm in Toronto yesterday, trees breaking power lines

Tuning, a large part of my life. Mostly fun but always immensely informative.

Some hints:

get a mic tripod

any one spot will look terrible, so learn to use the REW FR averaging tool for say three runs and stick to 1/12 smoothing consistently

256 speed is as slow as you need to go

if you are running both L and R speakers together, you will find freq when they subtract (you do this by using a fixed mic location and comparing L, R, and both) - if major holes appear, move speakers to equal ear distance (with big panels to set, I use a safety pin holding the end of a long string to my listening chair and then measure to the four front corners of each of the panels.... this is important even if you have to make a stand for the panels to tilt them)

I'm sure others will have hints to add.

B.

Last edited:
Now I'm confused:

So I purchased a PS400 phantom power supply and an XLR-to-USB cable with the intent to use my ECM800 mic for REW measurements.

However, I've been reading the REW setup guide (on the Nirvana Forum) and it states that using an ECM8000 with REW requires a preamp/power supply (whereas, the PS400 is only a power supply). The setup guide also states that any USB mic can be just plugged in to a USB port on MacBook with no preamp required, and that would eliminate the need to calibrate [an external] sound card.

So my question is: Why is a Beheringher ECM800 with a PS400 power supply and USB adapter cable is NOT equivalent to a "USB mic" in the REW setup guide? What's the difference? Can I use the ECM8000/PS400/MacBook setup for REW
or not?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
An analog condenser or electret microphone (ecm8000) do need phantom power supply to polarize the capsule(in case of condenser microphone, electret is already polarized) and feeding the internal headamplifier/"preamplifier" ( which is an impedance converter sometimes with a bit of gain, but it main purpose is to convert the megohms impedance of the capsule to hundred(s) of ohms or so as most of theconnections in pro world are of the bridge type -low out z to high input z, in microphone this is usually a ratio of 1 to 5, sometimes much higher at 1 to 100).
The headamplifier output a tiny signal which need to be amplified by a preamplifier (which give mainly voltage gain this time) to work at reference level of the next stage (e.g.: in a console it can be an eq or fader, for external standalone preamplifier it could be a converter a/d).

So without a preamplifier you ll have signal but it ll be to low to be usable (it will be "corrupted" by noisefloor).

In an usb mic, the converter is placed just after the headamp/preamp of the mic (in the mic body itself)and his reference level is adapted to the tiny signal the headamp produce so you shouldnt be bothered with noise issues.

An inexpensive solution could be to diy a simple battery powered preamplifier to feed the analog input (pro line level, +4dbu) of your deq2496 and then use digital out to enter in your computer ( if you have a digital input in your macpro).
This can cost you maybe 10$ in components and a perfboard.
This one will work well:
The famous $5 preamp - everything you need to know
You just skip the phantom related parts and insert your ps400 between the mic and the preamp xlr input.

If you don t have a digital input in your computer Wrinex solution (mbox2) is the cheapest solution... but your ps400 will have zero use as redundant.

Last edited:
The ECM800 microphone is a very nice mic and will work really well. It needs a power supply with a phantom voltage. But it delivers a very weak mic-level signal. You plug that into some device that has an input marked "mic" and provides amplification of the tiny signal. But then, you have to get that into your computer either with a DAC (really an ADC) that delivers a USB signal to a USB port or directly into a sound card or mic input jack right on your computer.

As I suggested earlier, the smart way is to buy a second-hand mic mixer (Behringer has a bunch and wannabee DJs everywhere buy them and then sell them). That supplies the phantom voltage and the pre-amp as well as all kinds of helpful indicators that show if all is going well and how well and has volume controls so you don't over- or under-load REW, etc.

B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.