DIY Voice Coil Winding Machine

Hi Zampotech

The encoder which you mentioned is called Closed Loop controller in industrial terms.

I have a pair of Closed Loop Hybrid Stepper motor, Nema 2 size. Integrated contoller fron Aliexpress. 2.0Nm torque shold it should be enough to handle at least 18awg wires.

And probably will be upgrading to Arduino Due as it has a 84mhz compared to my current 16mhz Mega.

Arduino Due PWM reaches 8mhz, maybe more than enough for the Closed Loop Hybrid Motor.

800 microstep for the hybrid motor and with Arduino Die, i should be able to reach 600rpm or 10rps.

Currently this machine can achieve is 150rpm using DRV8825, which is bloody noisy.

You should try Arduino, it is very user friendly Microcontroller.

Hi Ghemml

I used simple solutions so that the work on my winding machine did not require additional knowledge. The employee is required to know the diameter of the wire, the number of turns, set the width of the winding and press the START button.
The company, which was sold to my winding machine for working women. He doesn't know ARDUINO:scared: Women have other values:)

The second point that was important to me. This price. The enterprise-customer wanted to receive about 20 winding machines at the price of only $250/pcs.
To accelerate winding they began to use not one universal machine, and several, for each winding separately.

Last edited:
I see.

For my design also, there is no need to know arduino or programming. Maybe know how to upload the sketch to an arduino and basic wiring.

All the visual basic and arduino code are for DIYer who wants to customize it.

Otherwise, my share drive contains the executable .exe file for Graphical User Interface. And the arduino code probably just flash into the board.

I also uploaded all the AutoCAD files for the parts fabrication.

Last edited:
For my design, i don't think there is need to know arduino or programming. Maybe know how to upload the sketch to an arduino and basic wiring.

All the visual and arduino code are for DIYer who wants to customize it.

Otherwise, my share drive contains the executable .exe file for Graphical User Interface. And the arduino code probably just flash into the board.

Yes, I understand. I can do the job on your winding machine. And all users this forum, too,will be able work on your winding machine. Your winding machine is certainly perfectly executed. You have a very high professional level of performance.

I was given the condition that my winding machine could work the most stupid worker.:D
Of course, it is inferior in function to your winding machine. Software control allows you to change the operating modes more widely. In my winding machine, hard logic.

Last edited:
I have a habit of pushing my design to the limit. Therefore for this CNC winding machine i am very concerned about backlash, noise, vibration and heat on the motor controller

For performance i wish to achieve from the current speed of 150rpm to 600rpm. One reason why i bought the closed loop hybrid stepper motor.

For the linear shaft ball slide, i wanted to upgrade it to linear rail slide. To make it super rigid.

Antiback lash for the ball screw to achieve 10 micron accuracy.

And finally the User Interface logic, which i still trying to understand fully how a user point of view will want to see and have on their graphical interface.

In my opinion, there is no need to achieve universality. For practical work you need to have two winding machines. One for thin wire, the second for thick wire.

Backlash in 10-100 microns does not affect the quality of the winding. The wire finds its place in the winding by itself

The interface should probably consist of two parts. The first part have only two digits, the number of turns and the diameter of the wire, and the name of the winding. Perhaps even the width of the winding. The second part can have a group of settings, such as winding speed, speed dial profile, winding type, winding step.
Each mode must be given its own name to transfer this mode to the winding machine.

Last edited:
For ultra-thin wires definitely need to remove the backlash. For wire of 0.12 mm is enough to take a step slightly larger than the diameter of the wire.

By then i be using closed loop hybrid motor, it can go all the way down to 51200 microstep and use Arduino Due(just in case)

Maybe need to upgrade to a better accurate ball screw

Smart iHSS57 36 20 CNC Closed Loop NEMA 23 Integrated Stepper Motor with Driver Step+direction 57mm 36VDC 2N.M #SM749 @SD-in Stepper Motor from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Your desire is worthy of great respect. You are on your way to creating a unique machine. Waiting for your name in the Guinness book of records.

Guinness...lol... Maybe the Guinness record of failed attempts, because the original design is just full of flaws before it reaches the current stage. It still has flaws, and I am still polishing and correcting them out.

Doing it for fun while the adrenaline still run high. And of course still requires support from people who wanted to try out. If there is anyone interested.

But if this project don't pick up any steam, I maybe just finish it up to a stage where is it almost near to industrial level, where I can use for winding voice coil, field coil electromagnet, transformer... Then I will call it a day.

Last edited:
Upgrades to the built.

Closed Loop Motor & Control buttons

YouTube

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_200050.jpg
    IMG_20190330_200050.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_20190418_153224.jpg
    IMG_20190418_153224.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_20190420_195106.jpg