Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer
DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2018, 03:53 AM   #441
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

The problem in deleting the old .ini file is saving the cal constants. I just use a screen snip to save them but they should be recorded. Maybe the ideal would be a simple spreadsheet to calculate the correction based on measured output from a known source.
Old 23rd March 2018, 04:17 AM   #442
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

The new version loaded and came right up. Works without issues. System is aware and I added a link by pinning the icon to the task bar.
Can you explain the numbers next to the marker/cursor? Frequency I get frequency but the other two numbers I don't.

What is the phase relationship between the reconstructed residual waveform and the fundamental Especially higher harmonics. it can be really useful to determine what part of the cycle is distressed to know where to look.
Old 23rd March 2018, 11:40 AM   #443
Edmond Stuart is offline Edmond Stuart  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Configuration files

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
The problem in deleting the old .ini file is saving the cal constants. I just use a screen snip to save them but they should be recorded. Maybe the ideal would be a simple spreadsheet to calculate the correction based on measured output from a known source.
Hi Demian,

An old ini file is only deleted when it is heavily corrupted, i.e. when a parameter is missing for example. If a parameter is manually altered, a CRC error is reported, which can be overruled by pressing the "Proceed" button and the cal. constants will be preserved. However, if the "Use defaults" button is clicked, the cal. constants will be replaced by 1, of course. In the latter two cases, the old ini file is not deleted (only possibly altered).

> "simple spreadsheet": Oh No! On your request, I've just made provisions to save the ini file under a different name, see post 421. The the cal. constants can be found under: ADC1Calib=1, ADC2Calib=1, DAC1Calib=1 and DAC2Calib=1. In this case default values are shown. Note: These configuration files will never be deleted by DiAna.

Cheers, E.
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:40 PM   #444
diyAudio Member

Default Phase relationship

Hi Demian,

Quote:
The new version loaded and came right up. Works without issues. System is aware and I added a link by pinning the icon to the task bar.
Good to hear.
Quote:
Can you explain the numbers next to the marker/cursor? Frequency I get frequency but the other two numbers I don't.
I assume you mean the numbers at the bottom of the marker next to x: and i:
These are the abscissa of the screen and the index to the FHT array. In the past, I used them for debugging. They can be deleted by now. So just ignore these numbers.
Quote:
What is the phase relationship between the reconstructed residual waveform and the fundamental Especially higher harmonics.
The phase relationship is undistorted, or at least, it should be. Basically, the residual waveform is not a reconstruction, as it is obtained by subtracting an ideal sine from the input signal directly. So the phase error should be zero. But in a sense, a reconstruction takes place when the residual is filtered, which is done by means of an FHT, followed by an inverse FHT. Filter characteristics can be specified in the Distortion menu under LP Filter (Hz), Gaussian filter and Brick-wall filter.
Quote:
it can be really useful to determine what part of the cycle is distressed to know where to look.
Sure! And that was one of the main reasons to start this project anyhow.
Cross-over distortion, for example, is easily detected by means of the residual, see simulated picture below (which also shows a correct phase relationship).

BTW, are SNR figures better now?

Cheers, E.

PS: The phase of the 3rd harmonic is -179.98 degrees, so almost correct.
Attached Images
File Type: png X-over1.png (10.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: png X-over2.png (7.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: png X-over3.png (14.1 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Edmond Stuart; 23rd March 2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 23rd March 2018, 04:22 PM   #445
lemon is offline lemon  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hi Edmond,

Just I download the new 1.48.9 version.

I see a new calibration or it is something else?
The V is Vp still or Vrms?
What is relation of "dB"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_cal.jpg (51.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 23rd March 2018, 05:04 PM   #446
diyAudio Member

Default Calibration factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
Hi Edmond,
Just I download the new 1.48.9 version.
I see a new calibration or it is something else?
The V is Vp still or Vrms?
What is relation of "dB"?
Hi Manolis,

At the moment, it's still Vp and the relation is simply dB = 20*log10(Vp).
The only new thing is that you also can enter the cal. factor in dB.

In the next version however, these values will be interpreted as RMS and, to avoid confusion, you will see "Vrms" respectively "dBV" in the menu.

How about your PC and OS? Is it fast enough?

Cheers, E.
Old 23rd March 2018, 07:32 PM   #447
lemon is offline lemon  Greece
diyAudio Member

OK, thanks for the info.

My lab PC?
Oh! it is a funny long-long story.

Never mind, there is no any medicine for this, I couldn't find an alternative driver for the graphics!
With this microsoft-Intel driver there is no happy!
Old 24th March 2018, 02:28 PM   #448
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Demian,

In the next version, I will revert back to the procedure from earlier versions. So instead of deleting the old ini file, it will be renamed with a .bak extension.

Cheers, E.
Old 24th March 2018, 02:33 PM   #449
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Stuart View Post
Hi Demian,

In the next version, I will revert back to the procedure from earlier versions. So instead of deleting the old ini file, it will be renamed with a .bak extension.

Cheers, E.
Edmond, is it not possible to xor the various entities in the two .ini files to keep the good old ones?
I realize I may know just enough about this to be dangerous ;-)

Jan
Old 24th March 2018, 03:22 PM   #450
diyAudio Member

PS: Above procedure only applies to the regular ini file, thus not configuration files that are saved under different names (by using Save configuration in the file menu). These files are first deleted and replace by a fresh one. The reason why they are not simply overwritten is because possible old rubbish will not be removed.

Cheers, E.

DiAna, a software Distortion AnalyzerHide this!Advertise here!