Best method to clean soldering iron barrel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd grab a wire wheel and my Dremel before steel wool myself, but it is really the same thing to the iron.

Do you use a damp sponge to wipe the tip? If so, the white reside may just be mineral scale left from evaporating water on the thing.

I never worried about the cosmetics, they don't affect the heating. I have wire wheels in my Dremel selection of steel, brass, and even fiber. Pick a less aggressive brush if you like.

And replacement barrel/nut are readily available for not a lot of money - bright and new. I keep a spare one in my soldering dawer in case the one on the iron gets damaged.

I bet that a few weeks after you have cleaned the barrel the tip end will become warn out enough that the tip starts falling out all the time.
You will then have no choice but to buy a new barrel like I had to a couple of years ago.
It cost about half the price of an element.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.