What tool do you wish you had bought sooner?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
800.014_wd-1000.jpg

Wish I bought this earlier. Weller WD 1000. :)

I have many more. Tales from the Back Yard Speaker Lab.....and the Front Yard Chassis Shop

I think the breaker box cover I made out of cardboard with a skull and crossbones drawn on it and the words LIVE...480 Volts...Stay the F%&K OUT! should have been the poster for compliance.

I made it somewhere around midnight in the plant where I worked because I had to add another breaker to feed an upgrade on a vapor deposition machine. The day shift guys simply tied the wire to one of the existing phases and went home. The breaker tripped every time the heating element turned on.

I left a note for the daytime MR. Fixit to get the plant electrician to order the proper cover. It stayed that way for several months!

It seems that the OHSA inspector didn't like it, but said nothing of all the laser burns in the walls and ceiling, not to mention all the interlocks that had been jumped on a laser power supply that made 25KV at half an amp. A cardboard cover he could see and understand, the other "high tech" stuff didn't even get looked at. It was about 1977 and there were too many other real problems to solve.

Attachments

• BYSL_2_A.jpg
    BYSL_2_A.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 287
  • Miter_3.jpg
    Miter_3.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Test_Assy.jpg
    Test_Assy.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC09274_x.jpg
    DSC09274_x.jpg
    613.3 KB · Views: 180
  • SpeakerLabClosed_A.jpg
    SpeakerLabClosed_A.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 152
  • BackYardSpeakerLab_A.jpg
    BackYardSpeakerLab_A.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2556_x.jpg
    IMG_2556_x.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 277
  • DoesItFit_4_A.jpg
    DoesItFit_4_A.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 283
You know, I've been following Tubelab - George for many years, always lots of good stuff to learn. He's contributed greatly to the hobby. And in all the photo's I've seen, he's got no shirt. Now, come on, we gotta help the guy. If we all chip-in a $ I reckon we could get George a nice shirt. Who knows, we might collect enough to get him a pair of shoes too :D

Track saws are awesome. I used one for the 5x5' 19mm BB sheet below, on top of hard foam. Carefully done the precision and edge quality are ready for glue up. Get a long enough track and one that is true! The cordless tracksaw idea to break down sheet goods for initial transport is brilliant - I had a heck of a time getting three 5x5' sheets home on the roof of an SUV. Although in retrospect the shop could have rough cut them for me...

BK

Attachments

• 1-IMG_3151.JPG
    1-IMG_3151.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 107
Not really a tool and I didn't have to actually buy it: Front Panel Designer from Front Panel Express, the company that does custom CNC. I use it to layout my DIY aluminum front and especially complex REAR panels for cutouts. Very intuitive to use and perfect for the task. Layout, print, transfer, scribe, cut. No more whoopsies!

BK

I have the Festool track saw. Bought it several years back, and I absolutely love it.

Tip: if you get brown/black goop adhering to the teeth, for example when you didn't feed the saw through MDF at the right speed, barbecue grill cleaner will get it off!

I found oven cleaner to work great on circular saw blades. Suspect it is the same as your grille cleaner.

I first looked on the internet and tried virtually every suggestion. The oven cleaner works best hands down nothing else came close. Of course use it in a warm well ventilated space.

What about a Plunge Circular Saw with guide rail - anyone use them? I've had my eye on the Makita thinking it would be good for the first cut of sheet goods to make them manageable for the table saw. Maybe even a cordless for parking lot cuts to get a sheet home,

I have a serious case of the "gotta-haves" now. Cordless is a great idea. Thanks for that post! :cheers:

I've had to refinish several doors and windows plus do some finish carpentry lately and my Bosch Multi-Tool has moved to the top of my favorite power tools list for now.

Phil

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A Builder's level (quickset or dumpy) and a proper hammer action drill before I built my house.

My demo hammer is bigger than yours. (Maine is rocky.)

My level.... the tripod is same-as yours, modern standard. My level has some of the same curves as yours, but is Sears Craftsman from the 1970s. Needed a lot of tune-up and constant cross-checks, but that's DIY.

They go together. I set the top of my driveway drain pipe right-at the level of the rock ledge 80 feet past the driveway. Observation in low-flow seasons confirms the level did not lie (much). Now I am chipping a channel in the rock to lower the ledge the 6-inch depth of the pipe. My front acre is going from mostly-flooded to dry a foot+ down.

New tool, super useful this month, though I don't "wish I had got sooner" because the technology is maturing. Cordless chain-saw. Will it cut? The Ryobi ONE+ saw eats small wood fast, and does large logs about as fast as my 1500 Watt plug-in chain-saw (which is near as fast as any gas saw I care to handle). The trick is a slimmer chain than the 91VG which has been standard on all small saws for a decade.

A japanese pull saw.

When I traveled to Tokyo on biz all the time I would spend Saturdays in the Akhibara -- and I purchased one of these for me -- the one I had was great at cutting veneers. (Also got one for a client/friend who was an avid wood-worker.)

That was over 30 years ago! I think that the saw is in the possession of one of my sons.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.