Need oscilloscope - what to buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you will learn the Rigol quickly. It has an autoset button. Push it and the scope tries to display a nice picture of the signals you offer it. So if you somehow manage to screw up the settings, this gives an easy way out.

My previous scope was a crt scope, a Philips combiscope. Only when I got my current scope did I realize how much space on my desk that hulk was taking up. I still have it, but I it is chronically gathering dust. If you think you might get a Rigol in the near future, just get it now and skip the old analog scope. Of the money saved from not buying the analog scope you can buy a thingamabob to probe with your new digital scope!

Attachments

• IMG-20210101-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210101-WA0005.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 294
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The display is great. However where is the keyboard and mouse? That has been my frustration with the Picoscope stuff in troubleshooting. I asked them about a small usb interfaced control pod and was told the boss there has actively rejected that idea for years. . .

That is actually a second screen for my PC just off to the left, the mouse (wireless) can be seen on the right of the picture, I've so far found you can operate it mostly without the keyboard. But I know what you mean, I wouldn't mind a physical interface, I've already been wondering whether I could make a USB buttons interface to emulate some 'scope commands......

The HW part is rather simple but it requires the controlled software to offer some form of remote control (COM, DBus, RPC, sockets, webservices...). If done properly it must take care of possible race conditions for control from two sides (GUI, remote). I can imagine the author being unwilling to invest into that should the software architecture be tightly coupled to the GUI.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Picoscope software is quite mature and on its 6th generation. There may be hooks in it that enable this. I was told by their rep that a hobbyist showed them a prototype and the boss there rejected it out of hand. Maybe now (a few years later) there is more possibility.

Modern DSO digital storage oscilloscope

I remember the days that I have to pay several hundred US$ for a used Tektronics or HP oscilloscope using a CRT tube. Those were surplus equipment that barely work, but are the only way to afford one.

When I retired and moved from St. Louis to Chicago 4 years ago, I designed not to drag my boat anchor CRT scope to Chicago and shop for a new one after settling down. To my surprise, the price of the old CRT scope was depressed. A good unit can be had for not much more than a $100. The market was flooded with TFT-LCD based digital oscilloscopes with much more function, much cheaper and much lighter.

I ended up purchased an Owon SDS7102 DSO on Amazon. At that time, it was the lowest priced ($300) DSO with 8" screen and FFT function.
https://www.amazon.com/Sds7102v-Channel-Oscilloscope-2-channel-Interface/dp/B00GP58T5C/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Owon+100mhz+Oscilloscope+Sds7102&qid=1610767680&sr=8-5
I got the bare bone model to keep the price down. I later added a battery pack ($65) which provides 4 hours of non-AC service.

I am happy with the scope and it serves my workbench well.
IMG_4766 (1).jpg

I later found out the Owon firmware had left something to be desired and there is a hack site. I never find it necessary and just used the scope as is.
Hacking the OWON SDS7102 Scope

In the past few years, the desktop oscilloscope has stabilized at $300-500 for beginner unit which is perfect for hobbyist.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I bought the 1 channel version a few months ago. Even though the screen is really small its pretty useable. Battery powered, real 100 MHz (I tested it) and an OK RTA. The FFT is less useable in its present form. Where this will really shine is with testing things where connection to AC would be a problem. I can even hang a P6015 HV probe on it and look at real surges without issues of common mode stuff. 3 KV pulses are real noisemakers.

This guy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087TBFB3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $150 is also quite useful. I use it as a waveform monitor. No FFT but otherwise quite useful. It won't replace my Siglent or Tek 7854 but could be very useful if I did not have those.

Quick question: which?
1) hantek dso5072p. already unlocked to 200 MHz. 800x480 screen
2) Hanmatek DOS1102 (clone Owon SDS1102). 100MHz. 640x480 screen. simple single voltage (5.5V) internal supply - can easily add usb powerbank to it and get little mobility, about 2-4 hours of battery life
Both are the same price. No other brands/model plz.
thanx ahead

Quick question: which?
1) hantek dso5072p. already unlocked to 200 MHz. 800x480 screen
2) Hanmatek DOS1102 (clone Owon SDS1102). 100MHz. 640x480 screen. simple single voltage (5.5V) internal supply - can easily add usb powerbank to it and get little mobility, about 2-4 hours of battery life
Both are the same price. No other brands/model plz.
thanx ahead
I will pick Hantek for it is a more established brand. Consider who sells them in your local location and whether they can provide under warranty service. I will also buy Owon instead of Hanmatek if the spec are the same.

These new generation of DSO are good value for the money. But the manufacturing quality and reliability varies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.