Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

AverLAB Audio Analyser
AverLAB Audio Analyser
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2017, 01:04 PM   #1
soekris is online now soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

AverLAB Audio Analyser
Default AverLAB Audio Analyser

The new Avermetrics AverLAB Audio Analyser looks pretty interesting, especially at the $3000 pricing, it have the analog performance I'm looking for, and the digital audio I/O I need.... And I like that it's using ethernet instead of USB for the computer interface.

Do anybody know about the company or it's product ?
Anybody actually tried the AverLAB and can tell about it ?

Avermetrics | AverLAB
Old 7th October 2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Audio1Man is offline Audio1Man  United States
Duke Aguiar Design Services
diyAudio Member

AverLAB Audio Analyser
I have seen the Analyzer and looking forward to a real personal demo. The $3000 price is good. The company is in Glendale CA.
Duke
Old 8th October 2017, 08:02 AM   #3
Sawdust123 is offline Sawdust123  United States
diyAudio Member

Soren, sorry for the delayed response, I am at Rocky Mountain AudioFest this weekend hanging with the likes of Bob Cordell and others.

I joined Avermetrics last year after nearly 13 years with Audio Precision. All of us at Avermetrics have a background in professional audio having worked at such companies as Avid, M-Audio, Aphex, Manley Labs and PreSonus among others. We are really just a group of engineers that believe existing solutions are way more complex and expensive than they need to be.

Our first product was the AverLine system. This is a customizable rack mount system that can scale up to 500 channels. It is targeted for high-speed production testing (including bed of nails fixtures) and does not have GUI. It is controlled via XML commands instead. It is mostly used by CMs in China.

AverLAB is meant for the bench. It can also be scaled for production test fixtures (but only to ~200 channels). We put in some features that really make it "bench friendly." For instance, it has no fan; you can listen to your DUT instead of your test equipment. It has no USB tether so you can move your laptop around from the bench to the desk and still run tests. And most addictively, it has assignable front panel controls so you can adjust things like amplitudes and frequencies with the same convenience of an old-school analog signal generator. We are paying attention to the little things like that because we want AverLAB to be a product that people look forward to using.

Right now AverLAB is in beta test at a handful of sites in our local area. We expect to release in the next few weeks. The hardware is complete but we have a few software features that need additional tweaking. We also plan to be doing significant software updates on a fairly frequent schedule. The flexible architecture lends itself nicely to a rapidly expanding feature set.

Soren, I am pretty sure we have communicated directly but I am just as happy to answer questions here. BTW, we are starting to put sections of the Quick Start Guide on our website.
Old 8th October 2017, 10:10 AM   #4
B&W_arthur is offline B&W_arthur  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

The Averlab Audio Analyzer looks promising and attractive.
The use of LAN instead of USB is a merit.

Looking forward to further information from you.
Old 8th October 2017, 10:19 AM   #5
BlacK_Chicken is offline BlacK_Chicken  Germany
diyAudio Member

Dear Sawdust. I am quite impressed by the specified THD+N residual of your Analyzer. Is this a reliable spec.? Especially the low noise level makes me a little bit suspicious.

The maximum input voltage range is definitely to small for anyone testing power amplifiers. What are your future plans in this regard? Will you offer external attenuators or something alike?
Old 9th October 2017, 02:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

We should get a more complete set of specifications published in the next few weeks. We are feeling pretty good about the numbers right now. Some further improvements may be possible but we are not committing to any.

Adding provisions for use of external attenuators is definitely on the short list of future features.
Old 9th October 2017, 07:31 PM   #7
soekris is online now soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

AverLAB Audio Analyser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust123 View Post
Soren, sorry for the delayed response, I am at Rocky Mountain AudioFest this weekend hanging with the likes of Bob Cordell and others.

Right now AverLAB is in beta test at a handful of sites in our local area. We expect to release in the next few weeks. The hardware is complete but we have a few software features that need additional tweaking. We also plan to be doing significant software updates on a fairly frequent schedule. The flexible architecture lends itself nicely to a rapidly expanding feature set.

Soren, I am pretty sure we have communicated directly but I am just as happy to answer questions here. BTW, we are starting to put sections of the Quick Start Guide on our website.
Yes, I believe we have exchanged a couple of emails....

The hardware looks pretty good, but it's the software I'm more worried about, hardware is relatively easy to do, while a large piece of software is not that easy, I have tried most of the available PC based software with a number of USB audio interfaces, and none is great although some combinations are usable.... The advantage you have with the software is that it only need to work with your hardware.

I would love to see a complete manual, and even better, love if you would make a demo version available of your software, just like AP and Prism do.

It would also be great with an expected timeline for the features you don't have at launch but are planning, like ASIO Audio device support (needed for testing USB only DAC's) and I2S digital I/O support.

Then I would definite purchase one, the pricing beast the big ones, and the price/performance/features beats all the other ones.
Old 9th October 2017, 07:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The software will be posted when it is released. It won't have a "live" demo mode like AP but it will contain a project with data that you can manipulate. Our software focus has been on software stability and the flexibility of the underlying architecture.

As I'm sure you know, software is never complete. We have actually turned off some capabilities in the first release because we didn't have time to finish the UI for them (e.g. the I2S interface). I am pretty excited about our roadmap. After all, it includes solutions for most of the pet peeves I have had with competitive products. Of course, development priorities could change a little once we start getting feedback from initial customers.
Old 10th October 2017, 06:33 AM   #9
diyaudnut is offline diyaudnut  United States
diyAudio Member

would you be revealing details of the DAC, ADC chips used in your design? Or the plan is to keep that confidential?
Old 10th October 2017, 06:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I will double check with the company founder but I don't think anyone would be surprised by our choices.

AverLAB Audio AnalyserHide this!Advertise here!