AverLAB Audio Analyser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its been quiet for a while - just started reading 30 min ago. I have been back and forth searching for a good analyzer. For a while, I was set on Digilent Analog Discovery 2 together with the Audio Analyzer Suite developed by TheStuffMade. But just like NwAvGuy, TheStuffMade vanished into thin air. This was an unbeatable combo at the price point and since there where people pointing out that the Digilent Waveforms had issues with accuracy, I could no longer choose the Discovery 2. So back to zero.

Next was PicoScope that feature FFT and Audio Analyzing capability with an increased price tag and in reality a compromise in many aspects, so I don't feel all that tempted. RTX Audio is a half hearted attempt as well since they rely on 3rd party software which in itself can be a serious problem.

So, wanting a really good and reliable Audio Analyzer with software integration left me with a very few options since I am not a wealthy fella.
Audio Precision, many a dream and the only option for a DIY who is aspiring to offer proper equipment in the future, was their APx515 model. But at $6000 plus VAT for import, that is a huge investment.

In comes Avermetrics and saves the day with AverLab. $3000 for AP similar precision, who can decline such a deal. Avermetrics even consist of former AP engineers, who are open for suggestions from the public domain. Willing to perform future software upgrades and so forth.

This is a game changer, just like ARTA and REW, Dayton Audio Omnimic v2 and XSim (crossover network). For DIY'ers and semi professionals, this is a killer combo together with AverLab.

I can't afford an AverLab this year since I am in the middle of building my workshop / lab and loudspeaker development, but be sure, next year, I will pick one up. And by that time, plenty of development and more mature software will have surfaced. Not that there is fundamentally anything wrong with it as it is.

Just make sure THD and IMD is part of it and Audio Precision will regret that they did not reconsider the pricing of their APx515.

:D

Thanks for the kind words, Oneminde. When I started Avermetrics I had an idea of how to do test and measurement better--differently than it had been done up until then. The usual model is either charge a lot, then keep charging for everything that you need, or to not really solve the technical problems and never create a complete solution. I used to run engineering for M-Audio and Digidesign, and with more than 10 factories building our stuff we tried every way to do testing--most of which were too expensive (even for us) and many were technical duds. That's where the ideas for Avermetrics came from.

We do have some very cool things coming in our software. Everything takes a little longer than you plan--the story of my life it seems--but we're close to a new release that sets the stage for features no other test and measurement system has. When you're ready to buy a system you'll be able to control and automate every aspect of the way you make measurements. Personally, I can't WAIT to get these new features, and that's just so I can use them myself.

I hear you. One can use similarity's in the amplifier and loudspeaker realms. Many tend to stick to components because it A) used to be very good in the 70's. B) Religious relationship to a specific company and or product. C) Because that is how its done. Well, does are not good enough. Take ALPS, they produce good pots and attenuators, but if one look further, TKD might be a whole level better. In fact, mechanical volume attenuators aren't that great when it comes to signal to noise ratio - times change.

Just like you had and still have a vision - which will expand - so do I. I feel engineers and company's to a certain degree are afraid of doing things differently, even if they are better. Like using SMPS instead of Linear power supply in valve amplifiers. But that is how it is when people can't separate the power to run the gear vs. the audio signal powering your loudspeakers / headphones.

Thank's for reading my entry and nice talking with you.

Just fast compare with APX515 and Averlab
I am using APX515 about 3 years and just get the Averlab three day.
I think the Averlab need to revise the UI because all unit of measure is unknow. That mean the unitnisnnot the pull down manual. I have type myself and I need to run test to check it is right or not.
Also thenuser manual is not clear because only have web version.
I cannot find how can I get the real time measure like oscilloscope and the FFT.
Also it only have the lan to connect the computer is not good for use. My desktop have only one lan port and I only have I lan cable on table.
I need to buy a switch for it.
And my notebook is ultra book. No lan port for internet. If I need to take it to outsite for work. I need to buy the Lan to usb adaptors for it.
I think it is not good for diyer like me.
But all thinks can resolve by software update.
I buy the averlab because it can test the i2s and jitter which APX515 cannot.But this function still Not complete.

The mainly issues is the performance.
I find that the flatness of sig gen and analyzer is 0.05dB at 88kHz bandwith.
I tested on it with unbalance output feed to unbalance input with1v.
The max difference is 0.02v
It not good on this result.
I am disappiont on it.

I buy it from Amazon.
I think Amazon is the good place to get the mechine than get the Ap.

This is the low level quick compare.
I will try more to learn how to use Averlab.

I think the Averlab need to revise the UI because all unit of measure is unknow. That mean the unitnisnnot the pull down manual. I have type myself and I need to run test to check it is right or not.
I cannot find how can I get the real time measure like oscilloscope and the FFT.
Also it only have the lan to connect the computer is not good for use. My desktop have only one lan port and I only have I lan cable on table.
And my notebook is ultra book. No lan port for internet. If I need to take it to outsite for work. I need to buy the Lan to usb adaptors for it.
I buy the averlab because it can test the i2s and jitter which APX515 cannot.But this function still Not complete.

I am disappiont on it.

I buy it from Amazon.

201807080825353758.jpg

Paul from Avermetrics here. I'm sorry you are disappointed with AverLAB. We are a new company, growing very fast, and adding features very quickly.

Sometimes this means things are not exactly how you might want.

Yes, AverLAB uses wired Ethernet. We think this is a good thing, but it may mean for some computers you need an adapter or Ethernet switch. But there are many advantages, including being more reliable than USB and not having to be tethered to the computer.

I'm not sure why you are measuring flatness that is worse than expected. We calibrate every unit using NIST traceable equipment to specifications at least as good as the APX analyzer. Without knowing more about the situation it is hard to tell what the problem might be.

You are correct that the manual is only online. This is because we are adding new features every week, so any printed manual would be out of date right away. It is also true that the current manual is for an older version of the software. We are currently rewriting it to match the new 2.0 release. This new version is much more advanced than our first program, so the manual needs a complete update. Trying to use the new software with the old manual may be causing some confusion. We will publish a completely new manual later this week.

I would be glad to work with you directly to resolve any issue you are having. Please contact me directly at paul@avermetrics.com, or via our website at Avermetrics | Support | Avermetrics. I'm sure we can solve the issues you are having.

Paul

I am disappiont on it.

I buy it from Amazon.

Paul from Avermetrics here. I'm sorry you are disappointed with AverLAB. We are a new company, growing very fast, and adding features very quickly.

Yes, AverLAB uses wired Ethernet. We think this is a good thing, but it may mean for some computers you need an adapter or Ethernet switch. But there are many advantages, including being more reliable than USB and not having to be tethered to the computer.

I'm not sure why you are measuring flatness that is worse than expected. We calibrate every unit using NIST traceable equipment to specifications at least as good as the APX analyzer. Without knowing more about the situation it is hard to tell what the problem might be.

You are correct that the manual is only online. This is because we are adding new features every week, so any printed manual would be out of date right away. It is also true that the current manual is for an older version of the software. We are currently rewriting it to match the new 2.0 release. This new version is much more advanced than our first program, so the manual needs a complete update. Trying to use the new software with the old manual may be causing some confusion. We will publish a completely new manual later this week.

I would be glad to work with you directly to resolve any issue you are having. Please contact me directly at paul@avermetrics.com, or via our website at Avermetrics | Support | Avermetrics. I'm sure we can solve the issues you are having.

Paul

Yes
I know Aver is a new company.
I use it 3 days only.
So need more test for it.
I have send the email by Averlab website.
I will send Email to you directly.
I hope ot really can beat or similar to AP.
Can you provide the solution is fit for testing power amp with output power over 50w.

I should point out that there is an Avermetrics YouTube channel now. The AverLAB demo video is based off the 2.0 software and gives you a brief how-to with the new version. Not all features are shown though.

As someone that used to sell AP's for over a decade, I can honestly say that I prefer the Ethernet connection. I always used a laptop and the USB ports often got loose after a few inadvertent cable snags. This made it easy for the USB to disconnect momentarily and cause the APx software to basically freeze (with the only recourse being to save your work).

With Ethernet connections, I can close my computer, move it to a different location and just keep working. The software never dies. The most frequent use case is working on the bench or at my desk. However, I also frequently ran tests with AverLAB sitting in the office, while I was at home 60 miles away. You can't do that with USB.

Just send the email to you.
Hope I can get the reply.
Thanks alot

Paul

Have you received a reply?

Is someone received more specification on digital I/o as THD+N, SNR...
Datasheet on web site is a bit poor in termes of specification.

Is someone also already made some measurements with AP or other higher device to confirm the specs?

Any feedback from users?

I’m still hesitating enter the dscope III and AverLAB and need some recommendations to confirm my choice.

Thanks

6 months since last update. How is the Aver project shaping up? Any satisfied users out there?

I have an Averlab since July and Yes I'm very satisfy !

I use it to measure performance of amplifier, DAC and volume control. It's very good tool if you want to measure any DUT up to -110dB of THD+N and even more.

What do you want to know ?

Please see bellow some loopback

averlab%20-%20loopback%20fft%20-%20unbalanced%201khz%20(0db).jpg

averlab%20-%20loopback%20fft%20-%20unbalanced%201khz%20(0db).jpg

averlab%20-%20loopback%20thd-n%20(-)%20-%20bal%20-%20unbalanced%201khz%20(0db).jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.