AverLAB Audio Analyser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, I had always regarded that feature as a work-around because one couldn't open up two distinct plots at once. Since APwin was also limited to a single plot, this feature was seen as an improvement.

In general, I find graphs with a single X-axis easier to read. I don't mind multiple Y axes because that can tell a story but when two overlaid graphs are distinct in both X and Y, it just creates confusion. Therefore, my preference is two distinct plots.

The only other benefit I saw in a combined plot was reduced screen size on lower resolution monitors. These days high resolution monitors are pretty standard. For instance, my laptops came with 2K and 3K screens and 4K screens are available on laptops under $1000 USD. Is there another benefit that I am missing or am I just undervaluing the need to preserve screen real estate? There is nothing in the architecture that would prevent us from doing this if there was a strong need to do so.

Yes I can follow your reasoning, it is just a personal preference and not a 'must have' at all. I would have gotten the unit without it too ;-)

I just like the additional info of seeing the waveform at the same time as seeing the spectrum. But I agree, the dual scales need attention to avoid confusion.

Jan

Jasse, we are not trying to be secretive (not our style). We are just up to our eyeballs in getting the product ready so the documentation is lagging. I will eventually get some videos posted of the product and some how-tos with the software. I am not a video guy so my learning curve may delay progress on those.

I need a detailed plan of coming features in the bundled SW to decide between this HW and the Jensalyser (RTX some numbers) to make up my mind.
If I choose the Jensalyser then I can choose between a number of different already existing SW's, but if I choose the Averlab (very nice spec's and HW features btw) then I'm buying it "with good faith" (is that the right wording?).
Get my point ???

Yup, I am facing the same dilemma too.

My another hesitation is about the Averlab input voltage
though I have no idea about what should be the appropriate input level at use.

If I have to make a choice, I prefer a bundled SW instead of a 3rd party one.

Last edited:
If I have to make a choice, I prefer a bundled SW instead of a 3rd party one.
I recall a sales call I made many years ago to an account that was using NI hardware and had written their own test protocols with it. Every time they tried to get hardware support, they were told the problem must be your software. They got tired of this finger pointing so they discarded the NI gear and switched to a combined hardware/software solution. They said, "we want to know exactly who to point the finger at if we have a problem." I can see their point.

Last edited:
I recall a sales call I made many years ago to an account that was using NI hardware and had written their own test protocols with it. Every time they tried to get hardware support, they were told the problem must be your software. They got tired of this finger pointing so they discarded the NI gear and switched to a combined hardware/software solution. They said, "we want to know exactly who to point the finger at if we have a problem." I can see their point.
This makes sense for a company, not for me personally.

Any news about European resellers ?

Jasse, we are not trying to be secretive (not our style). We are just up to our eyeballs in getting the product ready so the documentation is lagging. I will eventually get some videos posted of the product and some how-tos with the software. I am not a video guy so my learning curve may delay progress on those.
Regular updates of your website with informative text will do for most people.

Regular updates of your website with informative text will do for most people.
Jasse,
We put the forums on our site just for this purpose. These are a lot easier to update than actual web pages.

BTW, I recently had a very productive conversation with a potential European distributor. It may still be a while before there is an agreement in place. Until then, there are many ways we can go.

One simple method to import AverLAB is to employ a 3rd party service such as myus.com. These services provide one with a US address for purchasing items online. The product then goes to a US warehouse and the service forwards the product to your country. There are many of these companies out there. I don't have personal experience with any of them. If you do, please share.

Jan, I had always regarded that feature as a work-around because one couldn't open up two distinct plots at once. Since APwin was also limited to a single plot, this feature was seen as an improvement.

In general, I find graphs with a single X-axis easier to read. I don't mind multiple Y axes because that can tell a story but when two overlaid graphs are distinct in both X and Y, it just creates confusion. Therefore, my preference is two distinct plots.

The only other benefit I saw in a combined plot was reduced screen size on lower resolution monitors. These days high resolution monitors are pretty standard. For instance, my laptops came with 2K and 3K screens and 4K screens are available on laptops under $1000 USD. Is there another benefit that I am missing or am I just undervaluing the need to preserve screen real estate? There is nothing in the architecture that would prevent us from doing this if there was a strong need to do so.

Hi Sawdust123

I have left 2 sales enquires via your web site over a week ago and still have not had a reply, I am interested in purchasing one of your Analyzers.
Could you please offer me some information of availability and shipment cost to Australia? :)

Hi Sawdust123

I have left 2 sales enquires via your web site over a week ago and still have not had a reply, I am interested in purchasing one of your Analyzers.
Could you please offer me some information of availability and shipment cost to Australia? :)
I answered two people from Australia in the last week. I assume one was you. One of my emails bounced so now I am pretty sure I know which one you are. Can you send me a private message with the email I should be using and I can compare it to what I sent out?

FYI, Amazon is now accepting pre-orders for AverLAB. They actually have units in inventory right now but I guess their holiday inventory preparations have slowed them down a bit. Units can also be ordered directly through us. BTW, since we are doing Fulfillment by Amazon, Prime members get free shipping.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
FYI, Amazon is now accepting pre-orders for AverLAB. They actually have units in inventory right now but I guess their holiday inventory preparations have slowed them down a bit. Units can also be ordered directly through us. BTW, since we are doing Fulfillment by Amazon, Prime members get free shipping.

Great, but Amazon also don't ship to Denmark, I assume I can order one directly ? Actually, I don't understand why you're using Amazon at all, they really are consumer oriented and the AvarLAB I wouldn't call a consumer product.... You really should just set up your own little webshop with credit card processing, it's not that complicated nowadays....

And if they're shipping, what about putting the full manual up so we all can take a look ?

Last edited:
B&W Arthur, thank you for noticing this. Our Amazon export setting was disabled. I have enabled it but it could take 24 hours for this to take effect.

Søren, we are feverishly working to get the manuals ready. There should be some documents up by the end of the week.

-Jonathan

The power supply for AverLAB is an inline switched supply with a 2-prong plug. So in essence it is isolated but of course there are always stray currents. Good grounding practices are always important with any measurement system. Is there a specific scenario you are concerned about?

The power supply for AverLAB is an inline switched supply with a 2-prong plug. So in essence it is isolated but of course there are always stray currents. Good grounding practices are always important with any measurement system. Is there a specific scenario you are concerned about?

I believe the Audio Precision analog inputs are floating because some amp outputs have a large DC offset value above ground.

Also is the signal generator digitally generated or done by analog means ?

cheers

All AP's utilize a 3-prong plug and good grounding is an issue with their systems too. There is a limit to how much common mode they can handle. I can't recall what it is but I recall it becoming an issue in some situations.

AverLAB uses a DAC to generate signals just like most of the APx models. There are only two current AP's (the 2722 and APx-555) that still contain an RC oscillator. RC oscillators outperform DACs when it comes to residual distortion and noise but they have certain drawbacks. First and foremost is the cost. Either of those APs start around $30K.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.