Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

AverLAB Audio Analyser
AverLAB Audio Analyser
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2017, 02:24 PM   #21
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

AverLAB Audio Analyser
Great to have the Avermetrics people here, and welcome to Paul. It give me better confidence in your products that I can communicate with the right people....

As you probably know, there is the new audio analyzer from JensH / RTX, which seems to be a fine piece of equipment, but from my point of view it's lacking the digital interfaces and have to rely on 3rd party software, and none of them are great, have already tried most of them and they all have issues....

I was looking to get a used AP or DScope, or even doing my own, but then the AverLab came along.... I like that you use ethernet for the computer interface and do your own software, even as you risk a little buggy first release....

It open up the possibility of using much higher sample rates, you really should put priority doing the ADC part using one of the faster Linear Technology chips, then you can look at aliasing spectras, class-D noise and other stuff you normally would need another piece of equipment for.... If the ADC part of the AverLab is a module it would be easy....

Please put priority for THD only measurements, an important feature for me
It would be good to have just one step higher voltage input, but it's not a problem with power amplifiers, no big deal to have a divided output from your dummy load....

Please let me know when you ship, I would like to purchase one.
Old 11th October 2017, 06:41 PM   #22
AverPaul is offline AverPaul  United States
diyAudio Member

AverLAB Audio Analyser
Hi Udo,

The short answer is: yes. AverLAB has word clock in and out via BNC's on the back panel, so you can use an external word clock signal to synchronize the digital PLL. Of course, you can also use the embedded clock that is in all the digital audio data formats by setting the sync source to the input of interest.

Note that the PLL is only on the digital audio side. The analog generator and analyzer have a separate (actually two separate) clock generators that are independent from the digital PLL--thus dual domain operation.

I'm not sure I understand you question about clock distribution between modules. Do you mean are we able to distribute clocks to external AverLine modules in an expanded AverLAB system? In that case, if the same clock domain is needed across more digital interfaces you would distribute word clock, sourced from AverLAB, to the WC inputs on the other modules. Using that technique you can create digital audio test sets with insanely large channel counts, all running off the same domain.

You correctly point out that very low jitter is necessary to get the kind of jitter performance it takes for these sort of THD and SNR results we do. For the PLL, we use a custom version of the JetPLL, with a low phase-noise RF LC VCO, and see numbers on the order of 16ps or so in a 40kHz bandwidth. This is a hybrid analog/digital PLL that is quite complex. But there is at least one PLL IC from Cirrus that does something similar, but I've never used it and I'm not sure it can drive an external LC oscillator. (Typical all-silicon solutions use ring oscillators, which are cheap, and not bad, but can't get close to an LC oscillator for phase-noise/jitter performance.)

Paul
Old 11th October 2017, 07:57 PM   #23
Sawdust123 is offline Sawdust123  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Soren,

At this time the hardware for AverLAB is complete. AverLine modules are controllable by AverLAB and we do have plans for new ones. How much bandwidth do you need for your work?

We already have a feature request in the system for a THD only (no +N) measurement but I doubt we will have time to get this into the initial release. The ability to factor in the use of an external attenuator is a high priority for us. If it doesn't make it into the first release, it will be added shortly thereafter.
Old 11th October 2017, 11:04 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

AverLAB Audio Analyser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust123 View Post
Hi Soren,

At this time the hardware for AverLAB is complete. AverLine modules are controllable by AverLAB and we do have plans for new ones. How much bandwidth do you need for your work?
AP have an option for 1 Mhz bandwidth for some of their models, that would be fine with me.... Just take the 15 Msps LTC2387-18 and decimate a little....
Old 11th October 2017, 11:20 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

AverLAB Audio Analyser
We do have a module on the roadmap that might be able to do exactly what you want, but I don't have an ETA at this point. We have a few fish in the fryer already...
Old 11th October 2017, 11:36 PM   #26
Sawdust123 is offline Sawdust123  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, AP's BW-52 option is nice. Unfortunately, an analyzer with that option costs over $16K USD if I recall correctly. There is no technical reason why we couldn't create an AverLine module with similar functionality. The order of new module development is a business decision though. While I suspect we will always have some overlap with AP, we also plan to break ground in new areas. Right now our energies are focused on releasing AverLAB.
Old 12th October 2017, 04:17 AM   #27
ruairi is offline ruairi
diyAudio Member

Hi Gents,

Posting from just down the road in Pasadena. Is IMD and multi tone testing on the development roadmap?

Cheers,
Ruairi
Old 12th October 2017, 06:58 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

AverLAB Audio Analyser
Hi Ruairi,

We're actually in Eagle Rock, so we might be closer than you think!

The way the app is designed, things like tests are basically modules (I love modules, as you can tell.) So IMD will be coming quickly. Multitone tests are in the queue as well, but will likely take a little longer. We have an oscillator that can generate a large number of tones at once, but it's not in the current codebase so there's a little extra work to tackle on that front.

Paul
Old 13th October 2017, 01:18 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

AverLAB Audio Analyser
While you're adding support for external attenuation on the inputs, you might as well add support for external gain, some of us want to use preamplifiers to make measurements on really low noise products....
Old 13th October 2017, 01:53 AM   #30
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

AverLAB Audio Analyser
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverPaul View Post
… things like tests are basically modules (I love modules, as you can tell.) …
Linkwitze’s 5-cycle burst? Cosine Burst

Useful for electronics and speakers. A period based (time axis) waterfall plot of the results is very revealing.

dave

AverLAB Audio AnalyserHide this!Advertise here!