USB Audio interface for measurement

Quick note:
I'm testing the Visual Analyzer latest beta with M4 and everything so far working great.
Also updated to latest win 10 driver.
This plot is un-calibrated, not at the lab today.

(fixed) I noticed a faint weird pixel thing at ***-end of scope trace and just assumed it was a communications or graphics glitch. Later it proved to be on 10ms intervals.
Tried different buffers sizes etc still would see on screen. It showed up in fft too.
I would see using other software too. Turned out to be windows real-time virus protect. Turned off now and all is peachy.

Setting on quick test are:
M4 config window 96000 1024 buffer
VA Beta- Running as administrator , 24bit,96000 2k fft buffer, un-calibrated vertical, input/output m4 ch1-2 out ch 1-2

Even though not using mic the e sys microphone cannot be 'disabled for apps' or you will see a system comm error. I guess VA checks all io devices in list.

VA64 (beta) is excellent professional software imo.
Download

Attachments

• visualanaly-beta-m4-win10.jpg
    visualanaly-beta-m4-win10.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 560
And finally here is the same -6dB unbalanced signal fed into the unbalanced insert loop at the rear which also bypasses all the preamps

I see, the question is unexpected :) Have you measured earphones output (with inset input, of course)? If so - on which load?

The thing is, earphones are also subject of measurements :D

BTW, sincerely thanks for the information about inset inputs role: I have ordered 202, few hours later have met your post, then cancelled the order and ordered 204.

Last edited:
I see, the question is unexpected :) Have you measured earphones output (with inset input, of course)? If so - on which load?

I have not done any detailed measurements (loopback testing etc) of the headphone output no, I use only the RCA line level outputs on the rear for measurements.

One thing I would say though - there is a lot of gain available in the headphone amplifier, so it can start clipping if you turn the headphone level up too high, and there is no clip indicator for the headphone output, so be aware of that.

Alright, this thing looks fantastic - it's exactly what I've been looking for for a long time now: A super-high-performance ADC at a reasonable price WITHOUT a bunch of front-end circuitry, which allows me to design my own front-end that can take up to 250 V_RMS for testing big power amps. The existence of this device might be enough to get me to revisit my design of an audio analyzer analog front-end, a project which has been mothballed for almost a year now.

Last edited:

BTW, sincerely thanks for the information about inset inputs role: I have ordered 202, few hours later have met your post, then cancelled the order and ordered 204.

Headphone measurement, like any audio transducer measurement, is much less demanding of the ADC and DAC than things like line stages and power amplifiers, since the best transducers will have distortion an order of magnitude higher than even a mediocre DAC.

I wouldn't use the headphone amplifier in an audio interface for this kind of testing, because they are often limited in power. A really good headphone amplifier is about $100, or you could design your own for a lot less.

Traded up from M2 to the M4, its very sweet (BH Photo).
Nice line out/in and the motu driver is perfect. I looking at new software as my old RTA is now defunct and no longer supported.
On w10 testing now the Visual Analyzer from Italy.
So far looking good. M4 basic thd 0.0004 and thd+n 0.0009
Visual Analyser details

Did you actually measure a difference between M2 and M4 line inputs?

The M4 is impossible to find here in the UK, but M2 is in stock. The only thing stopping me getting the M2 is reading that the M4 has slightly better audio specs when tested - is this true? I have dedicated AAs at work, and the M2 is for keeping an eye on the home stereo (I don't want the home listening room invaded by ugly AAs - this will cause trouble!).

Thanks,

Alright, this thing looks fantastic - it's exactly what I've been looking for for a long time now: A super-high-performance ADC at a reasonable price WITHOUT a bunch of front-end circuitry, which allows me to design my own front-end that can take up to 250 V_RMS for testing big power amps. The existence of this device might be enough to get me to revisit my design of an audio analyzer analog front-end, a project which has been mothballed for almost a year now.

ToppingD90MQA_on_E1DA_Cosmos-Mono_Left_NoDither_.png
Topping D90 MQA measured with E1DA Cosmos ADC (grade A) in mono mode.​

That would be a SINAD of 120.44 dB, pretty similar with what Amir measured here: Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum.

However, in Stereo mode the SINAD drops to about 117.7 dB, still a very respectable value for such a small an rather cheap ADC.