Measurement Mic. Diy Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any news on this subject guys ? I'm designing a measurement unit for acoustic and I'm a bit dispointed by Panasonic.

The POM and AOM from PUIAudio looks good, going to order a few of them to check for specification spread. Also, I'm not sure about their THD. The datasheet doesn't shows an obvious plot, and I need 133dB_SPL without too much gunk.
You might want to take a look at the Primo caps, they show quite good performance, but unfortunately are not readily available from DigiKey or Mouser. And aren't cheap.
I will also test some MEMS mics and will post results here if I have time.

Thanks Jishu. The problem for me is that I am aiming at 135dB SPL 1%THD. A -34db sensitivity seems too high for this. PUI Audio recommended the TOM-3050 with -50dB Sens. Primo Mic have the EM273. TDK, knowles etc... have MEMS mics able to handle that, with analog or digital output. Flatness looks okay from the datasheets. JLI also proposed a cap for this purpose (not the 61a and not on their website). But the shipping costs are a bit high for the UE. I mean, the cap is $4. Shipping is $14. They do their best but well, it is just too far from where I live.

I don't really care about flatness because the signal is going straght to a DSP. Adjustement could be made. And also, this is only for measurement, not recording.

I received my MM1 today and will post the results on the mics I will test if time.

Superlux ECM 99 Calb. file done with Webplotdigitizer

Thanks Tony, I guess we have to order a bunch to get an average FR, any voluntaries? :)

Anyhow, when I searched the web for some month ago I came up with another measurement microphone which comes in a "ready" package, the mic is Superlux ECM999
Can be ordered from Thomann and other places for a bit under 40€
Superlux ECM999 - Thomann UK
Have seen these also on AliExpress but at no price advantage.

Seems like the Superlux microphones are originally from Taiwan.
http://www.superlux.com.tw/index.do

ECM999
Superlux - ECM999

I noticed there's some discrepancies on the frequency response given in various PDF's for ECM999, see attached picture. :(

Another alternative could be ECM888B
Superlux ECM 888 B - Thomann Suomi
Superlux - ECM888B

Somewhere I saw a pretty good mic shootout test where the ECM-999 did quite well, at least for its price, have been surfing the net for a while to find the test again but I just can't find that link right now.
On the other hand, a lot could be saved buying an electret capsule for only couple of €$£ and save the money for a calibration, also the shipping cost for a tiny electret capsule is probably much cheaper, if it has to be shipped by post for calibration.
Enclosed file is created with WebplotDigitilizer used picture added to the Superlux ECM999 box.

Attachments

• Full calibration file Superlux ECM999.txt
    964 bytes · Views: 598
The attached file is the interpetation from WPD. On the otherhand i can't hear any difference using or not using the correction file. Basicly after a few years any correction file that is made will be obselit because the mic it's linearity Will be minimal changed so the first correction file is not correct anymore. In the professional world measuring mic has to be calibrated frequently. For that reason i'm not using any correction file anymore. Also the Superlux is quite flat using it for room correction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.