CLIO-12

Here is the loopback plots requested.

It is ok, but with the HP desktop I'm using I do see occasional glitches in audio that cause the spectrum to jump briefly. I have another laptop I've used with CLIO12 too and there I know that I'm getting many more of these glitches and even sweeps for loudspeaker measurements become unusable at 192k sampling rate.

My assumption is that the USB bandwidth required gets very high with this high sample rate and FFT size, so it will start depending on the PC and USB bus if those pull it off or not. Unfortunately the CLIO software is unaware if there is discontinuity in data from the USB bus it seems :(

So if you have another PC - then try that. Or then try different ports on same PC as some might be USB2 and some USB3 etc. Also it is good idea to disconnect any other USB devices. Especially webcams, hard drives and such that reserve high bandwidth themselves.

PS. Just running it now with same settings but with 96kHz sampel rate and it is stable and no glitches occur... so kinda proves the point that you need a very good PC and USB bus to pull it off all the way to 192k. Also are you sure you need the sampling rate that high? CLIO has a severe rise in noise floor above 40k anyway, so imho it's even better to avoid going above 96k

Attachments

• CLIO12.png
    CLIO12.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 269
  • CLIO12_glitch.png
    CLIO12_glitch.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Thanks ergo!

Seems my unit is faulty, now I can hear random relays clicking.

Will send it to get the upgrade to 12, as the interface appears to be a bit better.

Don't need the above 30kHz bandwidth. Using a dedicated computer with Clio.

Wondering which is the ADC/DAC codec on the new version.

Last edited:
As far as I know the DAC/ADC part remains the same and only the Firewire interface gets changed for USB along with some IC's that control the unit. The noise floor and THD performance remained very similar after upgrade. For speaker measurements this unit is perfectly fine, but for measuring line level electronics or power amps etc then there are better performances available even from many Pro soundcards.

PS. This post from Mr. Holland says the same...

Last edited:
The Codec used is not great at all for a measurement setup considering the price tag. The DAC part is the worst offender.

The interface is still clumsy.

Honestly, I see no point in owning this system as it is right now. REW/Arta with a good RME/Motu interface can be better than Clio.

Quantasylum is gaining traction in this field as well.

Oh, and 100 points microphone cal file is still there.

Last edited:
Audiomatica has released a new version of CLIO12, but in kind of typical Audiomatica style it is pretty much impossible to tell if this is a free version upgrade for existing users or not.... if not then the price would have to be pretty low to justify itself for the relative short list of improvements.

Changelog CLIO 12.5
New stereo Multi-Meter operation
New STIPA direct measurement features
New Quality Control graphics management features
Graph Report Window
Windows layout functions
New WAV2SIN processing that permits asynchronous QC test recording on multiple wave files and then analyze them (ADB, ALSA devices)

PS. aha - found an e-mail with upgrade link in my spam folder - so the answer is that ver 12.54 upgrade is free for existing users :)

Last edited:
Here is the loopback plots requested.

It is ok, but with the HP desktop I'm using I do see occasional glitches in audio that cause the spectrum to jump briefly. I have another laptop I've used with CLIO12 too and there I know that I'm getting many more of these glitches and even sweeps for loudspeaker measurements become unusable at 192k sampling rate.

My assumption is that the USB bandwidth required gets very high with this high sample rate and FFT size, so it will start depending on the PC and USB bus if those pull it off or not. Unfortunately the CLIO software is unaware if there is discontinuity in data from the USB bus it seems :(

So if you have another PC - then try that. Or then try different ports on same PC as some might be USB2 and some USB3 etc. Also it is good idea to disconnect any other USB devices. Especially webcams, hard drives and such that reserve high bandwidth themselves.

PS. Just running it now with same settings but with 96kHz sampel rate and it is stable and no glitches occur... so kinda proves the point that you need a very good PC and USB bus to pull it off all the way to 192k. Also are you sure you need the sampling rate that high? CLIO has a severe rise in noise floor above 40k anyway, so imho it's even better to avoid going above 96k
Thank you for this idea. I also recently replaced all the electrolytic capacitors in my CLIO FW-02 with solid capacitors. Of course, its noise has been significantly reduced, but I found a fatal problem. It cannot get the software Automatic calibration, after I kept replacing, I found that the four 16v22uf in the attached picture cannot be replaced with any other capacitors (including ordinary electrolytic capacitors, solid capacitors, and tantalum capacitors). Other capacitors?
If you have other electrolytic capacitors that have been replaced successfully, please let me know, thank you.
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1142.JPG

Thank you for this idea. I also recently replaced all the electrolytic capacitors in my CLIO FW-02 with solid capacitors. Of course, its noise has been significantly reduced, but I found a fatal problem. It cannot get the software Automatic calibration, after I kept replacing, I found that the four 16v22uf in the attached picture cannot be replaced with any other capacitors (including ordinary electrolytic capacitors, solid capacitors, and tantalum capacitors). Other capacitors?
If you have other electrolytic capacitors that have been replaced successfully, please let me know, thank you. View attachment 1125011 View attachment 1125012
I have found the perfect replacement model, RUBYCON 16ML22MEFC4X7
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2322165.pdf