Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Autoranger for soundcards
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2016, 01:46 PM   #21
mroether is offline mroether  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan,
are there any autoranger news?
Old 26th October 2016, 02:05 PM   #22
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Yes, there is. One of the last issues was whether to AC-couple the outputs or not. In the single ended input mode, there is a DC source imbalance between the input channels due to a measure taken to suppress noise from the unused channel. I just did some measurements to compare different opamps to find the best one for low offset AND low distortion. Guido Tent kindly allowed me to spend some time on their AP2722.
See attached.

Unfortunately, the only real conclusion seems to be we need a better AP
Or - why did I sell my distortion magnifier...?
OTOH, both the LM4562 (LME49720) and the OPA2134 seem to do well. (I have another test with the OPA627 that also comes out quite well but that adds $ 50 to the BOM....).

Other than this last issue, everyting is basically done. I still have some work to do to finalize the switcher Kickstarter but next up is the AR.

Jan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1V 1k Viktor & via OPA627 & loopback & OPA2134 0dB.pdf (36.6 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by jan.didden; 26th October 2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 26th October 2016, 02:50 PM   #23
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hmm, looks like I might need to buy one of these. Following..
Old 6th November 2016, 07:13 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

The autoranger development and testing is done. I am putting together 3 autorangers for beta testing by other people. If it all pans out I intend to do a Kickstarter project, but that will be very end of the year.

I'll be updating https://linearaudio.nl/la-autoranger in the next week.

Thanks for the interest!

Jan
Old 7th November 2016, 12:46 PM   #25
bremusound is offline bremusound
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
The autoranger development and testing is done. I am putting together 3 autorangers for beta testing by other people. If it all pans out I intend to do a Kickstarter project, but that will be very end of the year.

I'll be updating https://linearaudio.nl/la-autoranger in the next week.

Thanks for the interest!

Jan
Great work.
I'm living in the EU and have a QA401, if you still need a beta tester
Old 18th November 2016, 02:27 AM   #26
DualTriode is offline DualTriode  United States
diyAudio Member

Smile Cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Yes the SE input is RCA, the Bal input is a combo XLR/TRS. The outputs (SE and Bal) are TRS.
That fits best with most sources and soundcards.

Jan
Hello,

Assuming that this AutoRanger will connect to the current version of the QA401 Analyzer, I am trying to conger up how a set of cables will be configured.

The output of the AR is SE and Bal made with a TRS. The input of the QA401 is also SE and Bal. I presume that optimal performance including noise will be balanced. For balanced operation I am picturing a DIY cable with a TRS on one end and on the other end a pair of male BNCís.

DT
Old 18th November 2016, 04:03 AM   #27
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure you need the autoranger with a QA401. It has similar functionality built in. The only limit is max voltage at 20V RMS. You could make a dummy load with built in divider and make that 200V equivalent and never worry about range, plus get the signal to the most accurate, lowest distortion part of the range.

The autoranger is appropriate for the QA400 or a soundcard where the input limits are more circumscribed.
Old 18th November 2016, 06:20 AM   #28
DualTriode is offline DualTriode  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Noise-Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
I'm not sure you need the autoranger with a QA401. It has similar functionality built in. The only limit is max voltage at 20V RMS. You could make a dummy load with built in divider and make that 200V equivalent and never worry about range, plus get the signal to the most accurate, lowest distortion part of the range.

The autoranger is appropriate for the QA400 or a soundcard where the input limits are more circumscribed.
Hello,

How much do you need to spend for fun? The QA401 looks to be plenty useful as is.

The Autoranger looks to be a nice piece of equipment as well. The QA401 has a single 20db attenuator. The AR has a series of 4db steps of attenuation for high level inputs with the goal of maintaining about 1 volt output. I like the idea of using the dbV scale on a FFT plot. With one volt input to the QA401 that 1 volt 1st Harmonic will be very near 0 dbV.

For lower level inputs the AR will boost the signal, again in an effort to output about 1 volt. This amplification of a low level signal effectively lowers the noise floor and increases the sensitivity of the QA401. Check this out.

QuantAsylum Home Page

DT
Old 18th November 2016, 02:33 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

To wet your appetite, here is an input-output sweep of the autoranger with an input of 0 to 5V. and a sweep from 0 to 100V.

Jan
Attached Images
File Type: png ar levelling 0 to 5V.png (29.5 KB, 388 views)
File Type: png ar levelling 0 to 100V.png (33.6 KB, 388 views)

Last edited by jan.didden; 18th November 2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 18th November 2016, 02:36 PM   #30
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jan,
Looking good!

-Chris

Autoranger for soundcardsHide this!Advertise here!