Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

QuantAsylum 401 & 405
QuantAsylum 401 & 405
QuantAsylum 401 & 405 Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2016, 12:08 PM   #1
B&W_arthur is offline B&W_arthur  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default QuantAsylum 401 & 405

QA401 and QA405 are major upgrades from QA400.
A number of weaknesses found in QA400 was addressed.

This thread focuses on sharing experience and discussion in using the new products.
DIY projects related to the use them are welcomed.
Old 22nd March 2016, 02:46 PM   #2
Stefanoo is offline Stefanoo  Italy
diyAudio Member

why are you mentioning Q405? This is not a production model (at least I don't see it being proposed on their website)!
Old 22nd March 2016, 04:10 PM   #3
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Major upgrades is to be found out, the 405 is not for sale as price prohibited it. There is only the 401 - is it good enough for twice the price over 400? The market will tell and I do not hurry to the shops.

Regards
Old 22nd March 2016, 04:14 PM   #4
Stefanoo is offline Stefanoo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Well, only for the differential output and the offset trimming capabilities, this is worth more.
The extra obvious improvement of the noise floor of the input stage and quieter signal generator, add to the price.
The attenuator and the 0.1% tolerance at the input for auto-scale cover the remaining few bucks and go over that.
So, in the end, 200 more is more than justifiable by only the things I have mentioned above.
Now, the other question is if performance wise it can compete with EMU1616m and I would be curious to know pro and cons of each solution...as they can be both had for pretty much the same price.
Old 22nd March 2016, 05:03 PM   #5
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

QuantAsylum 401 & 405
Default QA401 quick start guide and manual

I just found a quick-start guide and the manual for the QA401:

QA401 Quick Start Guide

QA401 User's Manual (opens PDF)

Interesting what mrsavage found about the QA400 being discontinued! I didn't see that coming. Seemed logical they would keep the 400 at the lower price point since it is already developed and tested.
Old 22nd March 2016, 05:27 PM   #6
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdr View Post
I just found a quick-start guide and the manual for the QA401:

QA401 Quick Start Guide

QA401 User's Manual (opens PDF)

Interesting what mrsavage found about the QA400 being discontinued! I didn't see that coming. Seemed logical they would keep the 400 at the lower price point since it is already developed and tested.
There is always a crosspoint to be looked for when customers rather pay more than see a saving in the older model. To be considered they might have guessed right and stopped manufacturing of the older one at the right time - kudos to them if it is so, very well planned!

Regards

QuantAsylum 401 & 405Hide this!Advertise here!