Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Rohde & Schwarz UPD - HELP! Need docs, files & repair advice
Rohde & Schwarz UPD - HELP! Need docs, files & repair advice
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2017, 04:47 PM   #51
SyncTronX is offline SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

I do have the R&S UPV Service Manual and can use that as a guide.

While that is two versions later, I cannot see the basic functionality changing, even the option numbers remained the same.

Cheers,
Old 29th June 2018, 09:02 PM   #52
willivintage is offline willivintage
diyAudio Member

the thread is old but maybe someone can help me. I have an UPD that doesn't want to boot. It has the old problem with the expanded memory services. But parameters in config.sys are correct. It should get the upper memory level....
Old 30th June 2018, 07:18 AM   #53
Shinja is offline Shinja  Japan
diyAudio Member

Hi I am also a noob to R&S UPD! I recently got a fault UPD05 and repaired it. I had guessed it would be battery fault but worse than the guess, leaked battery corrupted PCB pattern.
Fortunately it was not broad or precise pattern area, I was able to solder some jumpers and replaced a battery then it boot successfully. Another fortune was good HDD and a low distortion oscillator option and a GPIB option board.
I highly recommend UPD owners to remove a rechargable battery on the mother board.UPD have a battery and a lithium cell for the mother board and a lithium cell on the digital analyzer board on the ISA bus slot. All of them may expired its life.

Hi Willivintage, so, you haven't changed config.sys and autoexec.bat manually? Does your UPD have BASIC interpreter option? Did you put some third party hardware and driver? Did you changed BIOS setting- RAM shadowing? With "msd" command in DOS you can investigate what programs are on the memory.Try it.

Last edited by Shinja; 30th June 2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 30th June 2018, 03:44 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Hi Shinja,
both batteries are low so I have to change them. Nevertheless for testing the system I can use temporary setup. Config.sys is already changed/enhanced by R&S. There are no third party drivers. System is running @ stock. What do you mean with BASIC interpreter?

Here is my setup and the error messages at system startup. maybe the DOS version is not correct. On the backup disks is DOS 5.0, I used a DOS 6.2 startup disk.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by willivintage; 30th June 2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 1st July 2018, 03:22 AM   #55
Shinja is offline Shinja  Japan
diyAudio Member

Your UMB free space looks fine... BASIC interpreter is UPD-K1 option but your config.sys does not include specific drivers (contrary to mine). It consumes some UMB but it must not the cause here...
I have no knowledge of differences and software incompatibility between DOS5 and 6, so I can't judge whether DOS6 on your system is the cause.
How condition does your UPD come to you? You seems to have original software floppys but the UPD does not work on arrival?
Old 1st July 2018, 07:48 AM   #56
JohnW is offline JohnW  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I use DOS 6.X on my UPD's without troubles... The issue is somewhere else...

If you know DOS /PC well then I suggest installing an industrial Solidstate Memory Module (4GB is OK) and DOS 6 + the latest UPD software 3.10 (I've uploaded to my dropbox below):-

Dropbox - Upd_310.exe

DO NOT reformat your current HDD, this has YOUR UPD's calibration files (these are also backup on the CMOS Memory on the UPD's DSP card) - you really need to keep these Cal files safe.

Ps. is there some extended Memory setting in Bios?

Last edited by JohnW; 1st July 2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 1st July 2018, 05:46 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Thank you - I will try it but takes some time. First I have to look for an old PC with Floppy Connector.

Poor luck - the HDD was almost formated, so I have no cal file. I only could hope they are stored on the original FD from R&S

Last edited by willivintage; 1st July 2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 4th July 2018, 03:32 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willivintage View Post
Thank you - I will try it but takes some time. First I have to look for an old PC with Floppy Connector.

Poor luck - the HDD was almost formated, so I have no cal file. I only could hope they are stored on the original FD from R&S
Are you US or Europe based?

If in Europe I can help you out, I'm REALLY worried you will loose your Cal File (stored in CMOS) then the UPD is useless without being returned to R&S at CRAZY money!
Old 4th July 2018, 07:17 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

I am lokated in Europe
Old 6th July 2018, 11:12 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

If you can get your UPD to me I can work on it for you - I have 3 UPD's in the lab so easy to swap cards etc. to help locate the issue.

I've gained quite a bit of experience over the years keeping these units operational...

Rohde & Schwarz UPD - HELP! Need docs, files & repair adviceHide this!Advertise here!