Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Rohde & Schwarz UPD - HELP! Need docs, files & repair advice
Rohde & Schwarz UPD - HELP! Need docs, files & repair advice
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2017, 03:19 AM   #21
SyncTronX is online now SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

Good stuff.

Would anyone care to share the option screens?

I'm interested to see how these are optioned out.

Cheers,
Old 5th February 2017, 02:50 PM   #22
ci11 is offline ci11  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampexperts View Post
Yes, overall, it's not too bad. But the UPL software cannot be obtained anywhere, so should the HDD fail without a backup, the only option is to pay an enormous amount of money to have R&S calibrate it and repair it. $3,970 is their quote. They refuse to provide their software to customers directly due to licensing issues.

It's a really great piece of gear, but there are many things that can go wrong, and those 30 or so relays under the unit are a concern. Should one of them become a little flaky, it would be a nightmare to track it down.
The UPL sports a 44-pin IDE interface for the HDD. R&S used mostly Fujitsu brand HDD at the time for many of their instruments but they did develop a bit of a spotty reputation. I backed mine up to an industrial SLC SSD which just fits into the very limited space and appears to work well.
Old 5th February 2017, 06:02 PM   #23
ampexperts is offline ampexperts  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ci11 View Post
The UPL sports a 44-pin IDE interface for the HDD. R&S used mostly Fujitsu brand HDD at the time for many of their instruments but they did develop a bit of a spotty reputation. I backed mine up to an industrial SLC SSD which just fits into the very limited space and appears to work well.
I ordered this for the HDD backup:

Inateck USB 3 0 Hard Drive Adapter Converter DVD 2 5 3 5 5 25 034 SATA IDE SDD HDD | eBay

That should allow me to connect this drive to another to clone the contents.

There is an INSTALL directory on the system drive. It appears to have a copy of the install disk there. 16 files total, LZH archives and some bat and doc files. Perhaps that, along with the setups and cal files is all that's needed to start with a new disk? I've sneaker-netted those files to a Windows PC for safe keeping.
Old 5th February 2017, 06:13 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I ordered this for the HDD backup:

Inateck USB 3 0 Hard Drive Adapter Converter DVD 2 5 3 5 5 25 034 SATA IDE SDD HDD | eBay

That should allow me to connect this drive to another to clone the contents.

There is an INSTALL directory on the system drive. It appears to have a copy of the install disk there. 16 files total, LZH archives and some bat and doc files. Perhaps that, along with the setups and cal files is all that's needed to start with a new disk? I've sneaker-netted those files to a Windows PC for safe keeping.
It's a tighter squeeze than what may appear since the IDE header is oriented in such a way that depending on what replacement drive you use (PATA vs SATA+adapter), you may find fitting it in a challenge. Also, please note the red circle around the Pin 44 marking. There is no socket to orient the cable so this would be important.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UPL HDD Header.jpg (399.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 5th February 2017, 08:23 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I don't see any other option than to unplug the drive and remove the screws holding it in place and do the cloning outboard. Am I missing an easier way?
Old 5th February 2017, 08:37 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't see any other option than to unplug the drive and remove the screws holding it in place and do the cloning outboard. Am I missing an easier way?
Taking the HDD out to clone is not a big deal. Just be careful of the metal edges inside since the space is tight and some edges are pretty sharp.
Old 5th February 2017, 08:48 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Cuts are the least of my worries when working inside a $40,000 instrument. :-)
Believe me, some amplifiers I've worked on have left me bleeding like a stuck pig! This is not too bad, actually.
Old 13th February 2017, 10:08 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have any idea why a cloned drive of the same model as the UPL drive produces a DISC BOOT FAILURE when swapped in for the original drive?

This happened two different times. The first was with building a new system disk. I did this by connecting my bare drive to an Inotek adapter on a Lenovo laptop and using disc mananger in Windows 7 to delete the 20GB partition and re create a 2GB partition that DOS could format. I formated it with a bootable DOS disc "format C: /S". Then I copied the rest of the UPL files to it.
That disc would not boot.

Second attempt was by doing an exact clone with Norton Ghost 2003. I copied the UPL drive to an image file on a 4GB USB thumb drive. Then I replaced the UPL drive with the blank Fujitsu 2020 drive and wrote the image back to this drive, overwriting the original partition made with DOS 6.22 earlier.
This disc would not boot either.

I've never seen a system that could discern a cloned drive as not valid before. Is there no way to make a PERFECT clone of the drive such that the UPL will not think it's a fake and issue a disc boot failure?
Old 14th February 2017, 02:29 PM   #29
ruairi is offline ruairi
diyAudio Member

It's been a while since I messed with drives like that but have you looked at the physical jumpers on the hard drive? Are they in the same master or slave position as the original?
Old 14th February 2017, 02:42 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Part of the mystery is solved:

The disc was invalid media to the UPL and that turned out to be due to the software used to partition the drive.

I re partitioned the drive from a DOS boot disc and was able to get the UPL to boot to a C: prompt.

However, once I restored the Norton Ghost image of the original drive to this new Fujitsu 2020AT (same model as original), the UPL seemed to corrupt all the data, or the data appeared as gibberish.

See attached screen shots, showing the various stages of progress.

Note that Norton Ghost found bad blocks on the original UPL drive. When I showed these on computer forum full of DOS experts, I was told that this looks like software copy protection. "a number of tricks , some involving hiding data in clusters marked as bad, etc." and "that locked itself to the installation HD using (I presume) the HD's serial number."

After cloning the drive, sector by sector, I have a copy that is unreadable in the UPL, as shown by the gibberish characters when the system starts and tries to read the autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

However, if I move this drive to a Windows 7 laptop, these files become readable again.

For some reason, this particular Fujitsu drive seems incompatible with the UPL drive controller. Is there some sort of encryption between the controller and drive that is locked to a particular drive serial number?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170213_212450.jpg (500.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 20170213_213910.jpg (563.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 20170213_220414.jpg (518.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 20170213_221014.jpg (472.6 KB, 111 views)

Rohde & Schwarz UPD - HELP! Need docs, files & repair adviceHide this!Advertise here!