Rohde & Schwarz UPD - HELP! Need docs, files & repair advice

disk clone can work well. pull out original hdd 2048at,plug in 2.5hdd to usb card,make a usbhdd。toghter with one U disk bootdisk ( i use udashi bootdisk,that with dos 7.1 ghost winpe)plug in a laptop , choose udisk boot.in boot menu ,choose ghost .disk(2048at) to image .about 7 seconds,gho file created. power off laptop. chang a ssd(for example 2g stec ) to plug in 2.5hdd to usb card ,use this gho file, make image from disk .mission complete. sorry for my poor English.

Hi,

I had luck and managed to buy R&S UPL. My unit work OK when received , but I wanted to make some upgrades.

First,I was not satisfied with LCD backlight, then I took apart whole front panel and figured out that reflective foil is in bad condition, and I decide that is the easiest way if I take out CCFL lamp with L bracket, and mount some white LED stripe, DC-DC converter is mounted in place of
CCFL inverter, and power supply is taken from 12V on molex connector.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Second, old HDD was a bit noisy, and this bothers me when I work on my workbench, so I take out old HDD, and use my "USB to IDE" adapter and make image with software "Norton Ghost", after that I buy "CF to IDE" adapter and I put image from old HDD to new 4GB CompactFlash card (CFtoIDE adapter has switch where you can adjust power supply from 40pin IDE cable to CF adapter, then you don't need any other cable except 40pin IDE from motherboard to CF adapter), all is mounted in same place where HDD was before upgrade. After switching on first time, noise is lost and UPL booted very nice and fast.

Third, all that upgrades for me is not enough and I decide to put inside unit one ethernet card. I take apart PC motherboard, and on one PCI socket I put "L bracket PCI adapter" and on this adapter I insert PCI ethernet card, in sistem I load drivers for DLink ethernet card and adjust TCP/IP stack, share one folder from "CF disk" and now my unit can be accessible from workshop network. I need this when I have to make lot of testing and when after testing I must make all documentation fo measurement data.
With ethernet card I have only one problem and I need some time to solve this. When UPL software is started I can't have TCP/IP connection because ethernet driver is not loaded, and I need to make some tweak with extended memory management in DOS. When I make all measurements, I close UPL software and run my batch script where my unit load driver for ethernet and I can see shared folder with measurement data on my network. I am to lazy to use floppy drive today.

Btw, I make measurement of THD,THD+N and noise figure of UPL before and after my upgrades (LED,CF disk & ethernet card) and all measurement are same before and after. I know UPL is sensitive device and I was afraid of noise from DC-DC converter but all gone well, and I am satisfied.

If someone need any kind of help with UPL,be free and send PM, maybe I can help... ;-)

Cheers,
Damir
Audioplatinum Service
Embrio Production

I was doing some distortion vs. frequency testing and, due to the upper limit of the 22KHz analyzer not being able to produce data past 10KHz for 2nd harmonic, I switched to 110KHz analyzer. The problem is this: The sweep doesn't produce a trace below 40Hz, so I cannot test the full 20-20KHz in one sweep. With the original setup and default number of steps, the sweep would start around 1KHz. I found by increasing steps to 80, it goes down to 40Hz, but increasing beyond 80 steps does not lower the start frequency.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the full Dist vs Freq sweep range with the 110KHz analyzer?

I didn't see this anywhere.

My UPD refuses to start, now. Yes, I don't use it all the time
and haven't used it since the summer. I had noticed that when
pressing the power button sometimes it powers on and sometimes
it take a few times to get it running.

For the last week now, it doesn't power up like it used to.
It seems to start the process, perhaps waiting in the sequence
for start up checks.

A few relays switch, over time...like and hour or two
the unit heats up. No fan, no screen, nothing, buttons
pushed don't start it up, etc.

Any ideas?

I have the manuals, but I've found where they address start up,
not starting up.

Cheers :(

Hello Damir ,
I had the same problem in my UPL many years ago . By using it , there was smoke on the left side of the unit . The 5V/5A fuse holder was desoldered and the pcb was burned .
I installed a new , better and stronger fuse holder and resolder all parts like you and the UPL is still working :) .
Kind regards , Alexander .

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll look at each of those area's when I'm ready.
I've got manual, just no schematic, nor parts list.

By chance, does anyone have a service manual
or service notes, schematic, etc?

These would be helpful....

Solder joints that go bad, capacitors that age and or have bad joints
are the things I'll inspect it for.

Right now it getting to end of semester, time
to keep the hitting the books and not let books hit head.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hi I am also a noob to R&S UPD! I recently got a fault UPD05 and repaired it. I had guessed it would be battery fault but worse than the guess, leaked battery corrupted PCB pattern.
Fortunately it was not broad or precise pattern area, I was able to solder some jumpers and replaced a battery then it boot successfully. Another fortune was good HDD and a low distortion oscillator option and a GPIB option board.
I highly recommend UPD owners to remove a rechargable battery on the mother board.UPD have a battery and a lithium cell for the mother board and a lithium cell on the digital analyzer board on the ISA bus slot. All of them may expired its life.

Hi Willivintage, so, you haven't changed config.sys and autoexec.bat manually? Does your UPD have BASIC interpreter option? Did you put some third party hardware and driver? Did you changed BIOS setting- RAM shadowing? With "msd" command in DOS you can investigate what programs are on the memory.Try it.

Last edited:
Hi Shinja,
both batteries are low so I have to change them. Nevertheless for testing the system I can use temporary setup. Config.sys is already changed/enhanced by R&S. There are no third party drivers. System is running @ stock. What do you mean with BASIC interpreter?

Here is my setup and the error messages at system startup. maybe the DOS version is not correct. On the backup disks is DOS 5.0, I used a DOS 6.2 startup disk.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Your UMB free space looks fine... BASIC interpreter is UPD-K1 option but your config.sys does not include specific drivers (contrary to mine). It consumes some UMB but it must not the cause here...
I have no knowledge of differences and software incompatibility between DOS5 and 6, so I can't judge whether DOS6 on your system is the cause.
How condition does your UPD come to you? You seems to have original software floppys but the UPD does not work on arrival?

I use DOS 6.X on my UPD's without troubles... The issue is somewhere else...

If you know DOS /PC well then I suggest installing an industrial Solidstate Memory Module (4GB is OK) and DOS 6 + the latest UPD software 3.10 (I've uploaded to my dropbox below):-

Dropbox - Upd_310.exe

DO NOT reformat your current HDD, this has YOUR UPD's calibration files (these are also backup on the CMOS Memory on the UPD's DSP card) - you really need to keep these Cal files safe.

Ps. is there some extended Memory setting in Bios?

Last edited:
Thank you - I will try it but takes some time. First I have to look for an old PC with Floppy Connector.

Poor luck - the HDD was almost formated, so I have no cal file. I only could hope they are stored on the original FD from R&S

Are you US or Europe based?

If in Europe I can help you out, I'm REALLY worried you will loose your Cal File (stored in CMOS) then the UPD is useless without being returned to R&S at CRAZY money!