Lighted Magnifying Lens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I'm feeling my age. I can't see the tiniest parts as easily as I used to and checking small solder joints is getting harder. I've been thinking about getting a lighted wall- or table-mounted lighted magnifying lens. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

Regards,
Scott

Where I work they have several "Mag Lamp XL" (Model UN1030) from Naturalight.

I would probably rate them "adequate", overall. Magnification is lower than I'd like to have, but focus is good across the whole field of view, color fringing is very low, working distance and depth of field are quite good. The mechanical design and construction aren't impressive to look at but they seem to have held up well in a light commercial environment. I think the street price is around $100.

Dale

Folks:

I'm feeling my age. I can't see the tiniest parts as easily as I used to and checking small solder joints is getting harder. I've been thinking about getting a lighted wall- or table-mounted lighted magnifying lens. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

Regards,
Scott

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. I have a nice one I got at Staples for around $35 that works fine for all soldering. You can easily spend well over triple that once you look around on the net.
Once you use a magnifying lamp you'll never do anything without it.

I am now using +3.5dioptre spectacles AND the lighted magnifier to examine small components and soldering quality.

I bought a pair of dental binoculars, they do a big pic (about the same size as +2.5dioptres AND the magnifier) but I have not got used to them yet. They needed some mechanical modifications to get them to line up with my eyes and be close to my eyes. As standard they are mounted too far away and that narrows the field of view as well as requiring an excessive head tilt because one is forced to look "up" into the badly aligned optics.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.