DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

It was some years ago.
I seem to remember there were 4 files to be used (maybe not all at the same time).
I had them on my desktop for a long time until I got this sorted.

Don't waste any more time on this. It was raised as a warning following posts 1214 to 1216 incl.

In the meantime I too am awaiting the RTX solution so that I can start to measure amplifiers a bit better than using a DMM.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,
I normally disable the on-board sound card because windows will assign things to it for service. Remember, As an OS, Windows tries to do things for you and will even change your settings occasionally. You must make it so that Windows doesn't have any options. Only then will you be safe from their autoconfiguration efforts.

I once had two sound cards on XP pro doing separate things. One update and they burned my application to the ground - never to work again. You really have to keep your system simple from a driver / program standpoint. What worked before may very well have been broken by an update or other software installation.

Make your computer stupid when it comes to any soundcard. When you install the card, use the installation program that comes with it. Only if the manufacturer states that windows will install the product correctly can you trust that process. Even then, I cross my fingers!

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
FWIW I have been using the emu 1212 and 1616 in Win 10. The control interface is not easy to relate to. The special setups for measurement that were posted may work but could be a dead end. They used the internal dsp which could make things really difficult. Don't bother. Just set the gains to zero and use Arta or whatever. The routing and patching can be really confusing.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Demian,
Was it you that listed the various software packages that could be used with this? I thought I saw a post you made, but can't find it now. I'm ready to start looking seriously at which software package to use. You had posted a very nice list of links.

-Chris

putting the RTX6001 to work

Hello All,

Winter is approaching and many of us will be receiving a shiny new audio analyzer. Isn’t this cool, the DITaudio community with a state of the art instrument. The lot of us will be starting at the same place at the same time.

I will start with AudioTester 3.0 software.

Perhaps we should start a new RTX 6001 thread to share tests and methods?

The basic 6 audio tests.

Introduction to the Six Basic Audio Measurements: Part 1 | eeNews Europe

I found this link. This could be a good place to start the discussion about putting the RTX6001 to work.

DT

Last edited:
Another possible interesting topic would be a list of decent (commercial & DIY) AES17 passive brickwall filters for Class D measurements.

I don't think the filters should be limited to testing of Class D amps only. What we need is a flexible filter that prevents aliasing of test signal components at frequencies that are higher than the sampling frequency. It would be best if the filter is switchable to adjust for different sampling frequencies on the fly. Most computer soundcards seem to have this on board, but I don't think this is part of Jens' design.