DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

I was under the impression this was a diy project at least price-wise.

How is DIY related to price?

Jens' analyser looks like a high-quality instrument to me. It works the same as the usual "soundcard" setup (i.e., its compatible with different operating systems and software packages out of the box), but its analysis performance is way better. The analyser will be highly useful for the ambitious DIYer and professionals alike. The price is not at all wrong. I will certainly buy one asap.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi JensH, a request if possible - 650 posts now in the thread(!) - would it be possible at this point to post just a quick summary of (expected) specifications and software that is supported (ARTA)? Or if that has been posted already, just a link to that post?

I've been reading the thread from time to time, the analyzer certainly looks interesting, but I've missed a lot of the posts along the way. I have the "toy" QA401 now. Your analyzer should be a nice step up. :)

Thank you!

Yes, a recap on the specs/performance is needed before thinking of a purchase.

THx-RNMarsh

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jens,
I have no doubt that your price is good value. I simply don't have that kind of money.

I do agree that it is okay for a group buy as price has nothing to do with being DIY or not. About the only sticking point might be the amount of information that should be posted, such as the schematic and board layout. I suspect that anyone trying to build one for themselves might easily pay more once everything is done and over.

If you aren't going to post those things, I can see a case to put it in a commercial area. I do wish you success with your commercial operation for outsiders though.

-Chris

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It started as a diy effort and I developed all the schematics and PCB layouts in my spare time. I have probably spent the equivalent of one man-year on this project over 4 to 5 years. For the mechanical parts and the XMOS firmware I got help from colleagues at RTX.

As I also wrote early in this thread, I don't think it makes sense to sell bare boards. Purchasing components for a single unit will probably be more expensive than buying a complete unit. And the mounting would be a challenge for many.

I had to argue for this aggressive pricing, which does not make sense in normal business terms. The pricing was actually an attempt to make it available at a very low price to the members here, even with the risk of making a loss.
For the occasional tinkering it may indeed still be too expensive. For that a good sound card is probably the best option.

I agree that specifications are needed. I will put together a spec. sheet.

Jens,

I have been interested all along (this is a fine thread for all the content) and still interested.

I am not sure if it fits your plans and goals, but here is a request.

Would you consider providing an option of fully assembled boards, with the buyer building enclosure and peripherals around?
This might make it more affordable to a lot more folks.

Please dont misunderstand. Something of this quality takes an incredible amount of time and effort, so you are fully justified in choosing whatever price the market supports.
I was just thinking aloud if other slightly more affordable DIY options of just one initial production run are a possibility.

Last edited:
Guys... Please think through the alternatives before attacking the pricing.

The APx520 is $9000. Jens' analyzer is selling for 10% of that, and probably has performance that is better than the APx. The APx comes with it's own software, but still... this is a bargain.

And lets not even start comparing with pro-audio or Hi-Fi DACs and ADCs. How many of those with similiar specs can you get for less than $999?

I'm still grieving a bit over the loss of what was supposed to be the QA405 tester, when QuantAsylum downgraded to the QA401:

QA 405

QA405 is now QA401

I was fully expecting the QA405 to be in the $1K neighborhood. My hope was (and for JensH's tester too) is something with specifications somewhere between a high end sound card (or QA401) and the $9K+ AP or dScope. If this tester can get 1/3 of the way, or even better 1/2 way, for $1.2K, I'm in. :)

Personally I'm OK with the commercial production. DIY'ing high-spec test equipment would likely make it more expensive, not less, if this is being sold essentially "at cost" for the forum members for awhile, which it sounds like is the case. I guess a way to look at it is a $2K tool for $1K for awhile that in turn helps the bunch of us build DIY audio gizmos. :)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jens,
Please don't get me wrong. I feel that this is an excellent product from what I've seen so far. Once you have the specs posted, I can see if there is a way for me to leverage some other things to make it work at that price. That price point is steep for the average guy who has a family. That's all.

I have no doubt about the time you have invested and effort it took. I go through similar things with more simple designs, or huge telecom projects. So don't feel I am minimizing your efforts. Just to clear the air. It's easy to imagine what your deal with your business partners may have been like. Uncomfortable might be a good description for how you felt.

Have a great Christmas Jens!

-Chris

Have followed threads for a long time and very interested. Would need to see a spec sheet before I could purchase though. I also like to obtain maintenance documents for my test kit so I have a fighting chance of doing basic fault finding and repairs. Also useful if the manufacturer 'disappears' or stops supporting the product. I recognise there is a limit on what can sensibly be provided but would expect circuit descriptions and diagrams and layout info to component ID level. Is there a warranty period being offered?

Have followed threads for a long time and very interested. Would need to see a spec sheet before I could purchase though. I also like to obtain maintenance documents for my test kit so I have a fighting chance of doing basic fault finding and repairs. Also useful if the manufacturer 'disappears' or stops supporting the product. I recognise there is a limit on what can sensibly be provided but would expect circuit descriptions and diagrams and layout info to component ID level. Is there a warranty period being offered?

I agree.

I'm Interested for sure, so add me in the list.

Last edited:
It started as a diy project. But the result was so good that I thought it would be a shame not to make it available to others as well.

The group buy price is really aggressive, with no room for making a margin, perhaps even making a loss. It is definitely more expensive to manufacture than e.g. the QA401, due to the complexity and the wish to get the best possible performance.

If some find it too expensive for their application that's fair enough. But I think people who want the performance get good value for the money.

I expect that there will be another thread where the commercial side can be handled. Then this thread can hopefully continue with the technical discussions, including suggestions for new features etc.

I don't think this can considered commercial. Commercial is for those who sell stuff for profit on a on going basis. Some DIYers don't care to assemble there own SMT projects and this makes it available to everyone. Group buying assembled units also means the stuff has been tested and known working. So no scratching ones head when it doesn't work.

Again, nice work JensH.

An thanks for making available.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm definitely interested, and have been looking for a high performance alternative to the M-Audio based set up I've been using. I was thinking of an APx, but if I can get the level of performance I need at this price I'm going to find this very compelling.

Edit: Just read the first 30 posts and some later random ones.
So on further investigation change that to "I'm in."
This fits my immediate needs very well.

Thanks for the work JenH, bring it on

This computer / instrumentation stuff has evolved for generations of improved capability and reduction in cost. Now even us weekend Makers can have at our disposal technology that was unobtainable even for millions of dollars not too many years ago.

The cute little QA401 is at price that the vast majority of DIY Makers can afford. The QA405 was not able to meet the price point.

Now JenH has designed, DIY style, an instrument that will compete with the current state of the art commercial instruments. Yes likely out of the reach of most casual weekend DIY Makers. This instrument was not developed for a specific price point, more likely to maximize the performance capability and then to see where the price ends up.

Thanks for the work JensH, bring it on.

DT

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the updated specification that many has already asked.
I'm still interested in this unit.
Is it produced in/sent from Denmark ??? (= no import fees to Sweden/EU)
What type of drivers is included in the package ??? ASIO or something else ?
Please include information about what operating systems (and versions) it will work on.
If I'm spending this amount of money I want it to last.