Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2019, 03:22 PM   #2761
etlasr is offline etlasr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Stuart View Post
Sure, if you are skilled enough, you even could reverse engineer the whole RTX6001, but that is not the way to go, way too time consuming and still prone to errors. So I really hope Jens will give us additional technical information (if RTX allow him to do so).
I did ask way back if Jens would publish more tech details of the product. Don't need disclosure of every detail but certainly enough to be able to do repairs assuming someone has basic electronics and repair knowledge. Why? well I hope to never need such info and whilst some may rightly say 'if you have the info but that doesn't ensure you can repair it' lets say the manufacturer 'disappeared' (I think that has already happened for all practical purposes) and Jen's 'disappeared' (hope not but you know what I mean) then I would like to be given a fighting chance to contemplate a repair for what is for me an expensive piece of kit.
Old 7th November 2019, 03:59 PM   #2762
Edmond Stuart is offline Edmond Stuart  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Documentation

In the good old days, one received all documents automatically (without begging) including schematics and part lists when purchasing an instrument. Good examples are HP and Tektronics. Nowadays, many companies are afraid of stealing their precious (ahem) intellectual properties. Rather petty and narrow minded, I would say.
Old 7th November 2019, 04:04 PM   #2763
diyAudio Member

Default DiAna

By the way, DiAna is RTX ready. See:DiAna, a software Distortion Analyzer

Cheers, E.
Old 8th November 2019, 02:01 AM   #2764
jhenderson01075 is offline jhenderson01075  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Narrow minded...

Quote:
In the good old days, one received all documents automatically (without begging) including schematics and part lists when purchasing an instrument. Good examples are HP and Tektronics. Nowadays, many companies are afraid of stealing their precious (ahem) intellectual properties. Rather petty and narrow minded, I would say.
So, the source code for Diana is on Github?
Old 8th November 2019, 05:20 AM   #2765
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

The days of getting full details on electronic instruments were a byproduct of selling quantity to the US military. They required service info with a high level of detail to get the contract and sometimes forced the vendor to enable a competitor to be able to build them.

However custom IC's and surface mount stuff that doesn't lend itself to component level repair brought that to an end.

I would also like a calibration sequence etc. just to be able to verify/maintain the box. probably no need to even open it to verify calibration.
Old 8th November 2019, 08:37 AM   #2766
bozidarms is online now bozidarms  Europe
diyAudio Member

Great work,

thank you Edmond
Old 8th November 2019, 02:56 PM   #2767
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenderson01075 View Post
So, the source code for Diana is on Github?
LOL.
But maybe I will put some parts of it in the public domain, for example how to communicate with the RTX via the USB port, because some vital information is missing in the official documentation. It only describes how to interpret the transmitted data and it shows this sentence: "The RTX6001 device is identified by Usage Page 0xFF52 and Usage 0x02". For those not familiar with USB programming, the latter might be rather cryptic.

Well, it implies (in short) that you have to initialize the USB port with this WIN32 function: RegisterRawInputDevices() and process WM_INPUT messages. BUT.... that only works if the so called RTX6001 Attenuation Control utility is also running. If not loaded into memory, the USB communication is dead. I'm sure not everybody likes this, including me. To figure out how to do it the right way wasn't that easy. For example is the USB stuff running kernel mode or user mode? Depending on these modes you have to use quite different system functions. However, by "reverse engineering" above utility I readily found the answer and could go ahead with programming.
Anyhow, if someone wants to know more about this topic, just sent me a PM or should I drop it on Github (about 200 lines of code)?

Cheers, E.

Last edited by Edmond Stuart; 8th November 2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 8th November 2019, 03:26 PM   #2768
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...maybe I will put some parts of it in the public domain, for example how to communicate with the RTX via the USB port, because some vital information is missing in the official documentation.
I somehow found a documentation file for the USB communication a while ago (or maybe Jens sent it to me, I don't remember). I also had a hard time to get the USB communication up and running. Anyhow, here's how I did it in MATAA (open source, GitHub, etc.): mataa/RTX6001_USB_STATUS at master * mbrennwa/mataa * GitHub
Old 8th November 2019, 03:31 PM   #2769
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

mbrennwa: Does that hid module also work in windows? Thanks.
Old 8th November 2019, 03:56 PM   #2770
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
mbrennwa: Does that hid module also work in windows? Thanks.
Windows... don't use it, so I don't know. I heard that there are people who do use Windows , so maybe someone has worked with Python / HID / Windows before. Try Google.

DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490Hide this!Advertise here!