measurements gear. recommendations please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am making initial investigations into acquiring measurement gear for Freq Response, CSD, THD etc, and I would like a little help selecting individual parts.

To the best of my knowledge I will need:

Microphone
USB soundcard
Phantom supply for microphone
Software.

For the microphone I am looking at ECM8000 - it looks reasonably priced and available easily to me in the UK.

I have an Alesis mixer with phantom supply, so I'm probably OK here.

For Software I am stuck between ARTA and REW. Any further advice in this area is welcome.

I had looked at ClioPocket as a complete solution, but it is quite a hefty price, especially when I have other options/phantom supply.

I was hoping to use my Sound Blaster Live USB soundcard, but sadly it has died :(

Recommendations here are most welcome, as the plethora of devices is bewildering.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

What kind of equipment are you trying to measure? Generally, your test gear has to be better than what you're measuring so that the results you get are significant, and not just a reflection of the residual error of your measurement.

You mentioned a microphone, so maybe you want to measure speakers? Still, it's worth narrowing the task a bit, just so that you can buy what you need, not too much, and not too little.

Oooops.

Yes my OP should've stated that the equipment would be used for loudspeaker measurements.

Thanks for the kick into touch :D

I think that you need to acquire the measurement-type mic (The ECM8000 is widely accepted for this purpose) and Room Eq Wizard and/or Holme Impulse.

Your console should have good enough preamps but you should probably interface to your recording equipment/analysis softare via the insert outputs to avoid as much as possibe the signal processing gear in your console.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.