CLIO Pocket

I try to use an inverted RIAA signal file via the Generator Control to verify my RIAA preamp without needing any invRIAA Hardware, but I keep on getting the actual RIAA curve (Slope down from low to high freq). I seem to remember it worked once before in the right way but I am not sure anymore since I can not reproduce it anymore. It looks as if CLIO grabs a flat-noise curve by default instead of the inverted RIAA noise file,
See the link where Josh made the InvRIAA input signal files for me.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equ...a-compensation-clio-pocket-3.html#post5786288

Good luck with that. I tried ordering through him, and no answer to email, phone, etc. Paypal reversed the transaction.

Just recently it looks like Audiomatica pulled his ability to distribute. I just ordered a Clio 12 direct from Italy. I've shipped back microphones for calibration in the past and the service through Italy was fast.

How accurate is the log chirp signal for impedance measurements compared to stepped sine imp measurements?

When measuring high Qms drivers the signal stimuli is very important for accurate results, mls stimuli seems to be the worst and stepped sine the best, and swept sine something in between. The Dats system that uses a chirp type of signal (?) seems not to be very accurate, so how is the Pocket doing?

How much does Clio charge for microphone calibration

I've shipped back microphones for calibration in the past and the service through Italy was fast.[/QUOTE]

The one I have is 20 old years and came with DOS version of Clio, so maybe it is a good idea to calibrate it. Do they give you frd, phase calibration file ?

Crap, really. Wow, I thought they would really improve over 20+ years - I still use the old DOS version, 4.5 I think. But, computers, especially laptops improved and became popular, so yes I do understand their strategy, it cost about the same and not that much of improvement.
Now a question - when measuring Freq resp from time to time my Clio would show me a measurement that is a few dB higher or lower than most. I wonder if that is software problem or something else might cause such strange behaviour. Also, don't know if other later versions do it - the MLS is -10dB lower than Sinusoidal frd measurement. Some people mentioned the T/S parameters level and DOS version uses 0.775V level and it cannot be changed.
A question to the microphone experts - I have small RST prepolarized free field mic that uses CCP amp. I understand that the range is 2-20mA, with 4mA being the norm for this devices. I can use adjustable power mirror or something similar to generate stable 4mA, however my question is regarding the min voltage range under which the device would work without problems. My board produces 8.2V phantom voltage like other older versions, which most likely isn't enough to power the CCP amp power supply but making something that runs, say on two 9V batteries or laptop power supply isn't a problem. I heard that, I absolutely need 24V, 4mA to power the mic which slightly complete things (3x 9V batteries).

Last edited:
Actually the Pocket isn't bad...

sure doesn't have the same as functions and isn't as user friendly like the full blown version but for fast and easy portable measurement system it's quite OK. Sure it wouldn't hurt if distortion measurements were comparable to the free REW - actually other than lack of gated sine wave or chirp, MLS and other things REW is an awesome software. What I like in new Clio is extended high frequency limit, Waterfall plot, ability to make polar plot, and a few other things that the old Clio lite lacked. Sine chirp is much improved over Sinusoidal freq response measurement in old DOS - I can choose were I want to put STOP limit just like in MLS. Not bad. Pricey I would say it's. I think it wouldn't hurt if Audiomatica made it more user friendly and add a few features, but they completely lack competition other than Daytons measurement system, which is much also cheaper.

Last edited:
clio pocket sure looks good, with some added features it would be a killer

many freewares has tones of features but as they lack their own hardware they are usually a mess to handle

i think clio pocket should be offered in different user upgrade levels, from the simple to the advanced

Praxis is the past
For me, Arta or REW with solid external soundcard is a good solution.
Yes, is what I looked at many years ago to replace old Clio 4.5, but ARTA was a better solution. At this point REW lacks MLS. Both of them need some decent USB card that would work properly, and the set up is a bit complicated than Clio which beats both them in this area and has great capability in out and input level adjustment. I don't know how many people have had problems with Clio doing weird things during installation or not working in some configuration. I still can't figure why I get different freq resp levels in MLS, Sine mode after doing, say 10 measurements. Is the RAM buffer getting full, no idea. I will ask Clio if they can send me installation files - maybe my files are corrupted.

I am sure there are better systems, i guess most will cost a lot more and aimed to the pro user, which systems do you have in mind?
My friend has Smith and Larson Pro version running on Win7. Yes it is very accurate and can do things similar to, say Klippel. But lately it just started to do strange things, we can't even do impedance sweep for BR because it hangs up. It is nice when it works. Anyway we try reinstalling Windows again. But my old POS Clio does things it without fuss and without doing crazy comparisons and mathematical calculation - this is what I like about, oh if it just could do more things it would be awesome. Maybe Clio should add some extra features that the costumer can choose for those who want more than the base version - it wouldn't hurt them.