CLIO Pocket

Have a look at Langston's video :

CLIO Pocket Time Of Flight Removal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFEwxEnpcos

it explains how to use minimum phase,
and this gives a clear idea of the concept.

Since two months, I have made hundreds of measurements using Clio Pocket.
It's certainly the easiest, fastest and most reliable tool for measuring loudspeakers available to the diyer at an affordable price.

Yes I bought clio pocket with the philosophy that it perfoms 80% of work in 20% percent of time and i cant complain, I need to make a reminder to check out Langston videos. Thanks for the link

No that isnt the case , its installed just as prescribed , also on other ways langston pointed out , there seems to be another problem in which its just not possible to install the drivers correctly .
Langston and clio are working on it

Andromedia.
I have a much earlier version of Clio, the Clio lite software and hardware and will say that if you do not follow the install directions exactly and get the results they show as you install it just won't work correctly if at all. I know with my install you had to load the software before you installed the hardware or things just weren't correct. I'm sure Langston will help you figure this all out.

But with the support langston gives i have good hopes , it ll be sorted out in the end , he has proof he showed me a vid with a working unit
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
, he has 2 FW 01 .
Got to much invested in clio now to let go , i might order also a pocket from langston which is a usb system and usable with apple software.
I have 2 mics , one calibrated rca directly usable on the clio fw and a older one usable with phantom power xlr.

If it works its a perfect small / portable system off course , apple macbook pro and FW 01/ mic which gets its power from the 6 pin firewire/thunderbolt computer, (you do need to amplify the signal coming out of the clio )
I dont like those systems so much in which one has to play pink noise on a cd /dvd and then measure it, although you can off course have accurate results
Only down side is that the pocket doesnt do reverberation.

I ll post the results.

Last edited:
I know this is foremost a CLIO Pocket thread but I'll add this bit of CLIO QCBOX model 5 knowledge here as well.

I spent many hours trying to figure out why the CLIO software refused to 'talk to' the QCBOX over the USB even though drivers showed all ok. This was the case on 2 PC-s one with Win10 and other with Win7. An old netbook with WinXP worked.

After support e-mail exchange with CLIO Italy they sent me a solution. The solution is to remove the 'Load VCP' ticker that is 'on' by default. This is not in the setup instructions available on their page. Maybe this will save some hours of frustration for somebody some day.

Attachments

• CLIO_fix.jpg
    CLIO_fix.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
After contacting langston , he actually send me an older model dell but perfectly working .
It has a 4 pin firewire connection so you need phantom power .
After connecting it to the FW 01 it didnt say driver installed , i Sent it back to italy and got it back today, plugged it in the comp with pre installed drivers and the driver was instantly present , installed the software clio 11 and my first FR measurement.
Langston has been of great help , thanks also to audiomatica.
Audiomatica did the repair and shipment for free

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

I am kind of shocked at what Audiomatica did with CLIO Pocket in v1.50. They added features, particularly wavelets, that are very high end and rarely found on the most expensive analyzers on the market.

The List

1. Polar Plots have added a half-polar or semi-circular display which improves details of front radiation patterns.

2. Wavelet Cycle Decay (WCD) has been added to inspect sound decay vs cycles. This is one of the most powerful time domain analysis algorithms available that CLIO FW was one of the first measurement platforms to host. Electrical and acoustic resonances can be analyzed with constant Q bandpass filters, time smearing between passbands becomes obvious, specular reflections in acoustic spaces are revealed in 3 dimensions (time, amplitude, frequency), the list goes on and on. Can you tell I love wavelets? :)

3. 3D and 2D Colormaps are now available for both Cumulative Spectral Decay (CSD) and WCD plots.

4. C-Weight Meter Filtering has been added.

5. Bugs have been swatted.

Last edited:
For absolute readings i know of only omnimic, but it miss true phase and the playback from cd is very odd. Sure there are others that can do it all but at a very steep price. Currently i use arta but can not get absolute readings even when i try to calibrste levels with an spl-meter is very frustrating! And so is the complicated setup with all boxes and cables.

again waste time problem on audiomatica product.
now i open cliopocket and it gives me uncal! incredible!
On a PC, you have to be on the administrator status to install and to calibrate Clio Pocket. For the calibration process, be in a calm room, and once the device on, wait for half an hour before beginning it. It seems to have it been done each time there is a software upgrade.