Rohde & Schwarz UPV Audio Analyzer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I'm seeking assistance in learning how to correctly use an UPV Audio Analyzer. Is there anyone available in the San Diego or Orange County area or know of anyone in the area that might be available to assist me?

Consideration for knowledge, experience, and time, can be arranged :)

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

Sam Lucero

Last edited:
Hello rsavas and DUG,

I am studying the applications and manual, but wish to have some immediate interests/needs satisfied. IOW, the learning process -- albeit, informative, required, and enjoyable -- has to be accelerated, somewhat. ;)

It is unfortunate that the nearest R&S UPV expert is in Oregon...as I understand it. R&S remote technical support has been fabulous, but I'd rather work with/learn from someone in person.

Thanks for replying :sax:

c1ferrari,

Stay with it, the R&S audio analysers are SO much better the AP's on the lab bench.

If you require a machine for the production line, then the AP's are the best, if you want a machine for R&D lab bench then you want the R&S.

Yesterday I used my AP's for the first time in 3 years, OMG (I hate this term) what horrid machines to use, So bad so bad so bad... I just like to forget how bad they really are - BTW I own 5 AP's!

Realtime FFT is a MUST for any serious lab bench work.

Reactions: 1 user
If the user interface is as bad on the R&S as it is on the AP machines, I can understand the difficulty. The manual may not be all that much help, either. I swear the things are written by programmers that never did any bench work rather than a working engineer who simply wants to get a given task done. What's generally missing is a "here's how you do this" cheat sheet for tasks most commonly done.

For someone with the patience and writing skill, a "dummie's" manual for some of these instruments would probably sell.....

The UI on the R&S is very different to the AP, the R&S is more geared to lab bench use, where as for me the AP is USELESS on the bench you don't even have a knob to set output level or frequency or what have you it doesn't even have realtime FFT.

Have you ever tried to work on an amplifier design having to click a mouse to increase output level while operating the amp on the very edge of its life.... Can you even increase the AP output level with a single mouse click or do you have to manually enter a numerical value?

The iPad would make a great UI / Front panel for the AP :) But it would still be useless without realtime FFT.

JohnW,

I LOVE those cities in your avatar. My spouse and I were wed in Praha. :cloud9: I exchanged my optioned AP P1DD with my Studer tech for labor/parts.
Thanks for the encouragement :D

Yep, my Wife an I are very lucky to be able to live and work in such great citys, although now we have 4 dogs it not possible to travel directly to Hong Kong, we now have to travel with them via China instead (they are 1Kg each so they can travel with us in the cabin) . I'm now trying to spend as much time in Czech Rep. as possible as life is too short to be living in China, HK was OK but China's a different matter.

I'm working on rebuilding a 1inch 2 channel Studer :) :) :) for a famous musician whose given up on the sound quality of digital equipment - Protools has really killed real Hi-Fi quality.

I keep tripping over the Studer Amplifier module stacked up in our bedroom that I'll use its chassis for the redesigned electronics.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Studer Amp.jpg

If the user interface is as bad on the R&S as it is on the AP machines, I can understand the difficulty. The manual may not be all that much help, either. I swear the things are written by programmers that never did any bench work rather than a working engineer who simply wants to get a given task done. What's generally missing is a "here's how you do this" cheat sheet for tasks most commonly done.

For someone with the patience and writing skill, a "dummie's" manual for some of these instruments would probably sell.....

Hi wrenchone,

I can't address the UI for the higher-tier AP's, but the Portable One Dual Domain was rather as you described -- "...get a given task done." Certainly, its features and specs are circumscribe relative to a bench audio analyzer.

Amongst other things, what attracted me to the R&S UPV was the one-box solution...no external PC necessary. Now, I realize this also conveys the caveat should there be a computer-related deficit, then it may confer additional downtime :(

I sympathize with your perspective; although, perhaps it's antithetical to provide the versatility of a laboratory-grade test and measurement instrument, e.g., R&S UPV Audio Analyzer, with "point-and-shoot" gear, if you will.

Possibly, the UPV applications will yield this sort of this experience. IOW, I hope it's possible for a top-tier audio analyzer to be successfully utilized by a 'dummy'...to learn with it...and grow with it. :bullseye:

Yep, my Wife an I are very lucky to be able to live and work in such great citys, although now we have 4 dogs it not possible to travel directly to Hong Kong, we now have to travel with them via China instead (they are 1Kg each so they can travel with us in the cabin) . I'm now trying to spend as much time in Czech Rep. as possible as life is too short to be living in China, HK was OK but China's a different matter.

I'm working on rebuilding a 1inch 2 channel Studer :) :) :) for a famous musician whose given up on the sound quality of digital equipment - Protools has really killed real Hi-Fi quality.

I keep tripping over the Studer Amplifier module stacked up in our bedroom that I'll use its chassis for the redesigned electronics.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/Studer Amp.jpg

Yes, Prague and Paris are exquisite. In addition to the architecture, we have such deep regard for the performing arts...so enamored :spin:

Unbelievable :bulb: A 1"/2CH Studer ;) I didn't recognize the modules from the pics. I have a pair of A820-2CH...one's at home and the other is receiving attention from Vertigo Recording Services in L.A.

Digital has gotten better...Have you heard and/or recorded in DSD? For my ears, it's the closest facsimile to analog.

There is a concept called "feature paralysis", describing a device so loaded with features nobody can figure out how to use it. It is not unreasonable to expect a description of how to access basic operating functions in a machine, no matter how complex and/or sophisticated.
Old HP instruments were notorious for their convoluted user interfaces. I have one of their older 500MHz digital scopes, and I swear I have to dig out the manual to figure out how to do something as simple as saving a waveform to the internal floppy.

Yokogawa got things mostly right with their digital scopes - a reasonably savvy engineer can suss out the basic function in ~15 minutes or so, even without the manual.

Yes, Prague and Paris are exquisite. In addition to the architecture, we have such deep regard for the performing arts...so enamored :spin:

Unbelievable :bulb: A 1"/2CH Studer ;) I didn't recognize the modules from the pics. I have a pair of A820-2CH...one's at home and the other is receiving attention from Vertigo Recording Services in L.A.

Digital has gotten better...Have you heard and/or recorded in DSD? For my ears, it's the closest facsimile to analog.

Oh yes agreed :) True DSD (not converted to PCM) is Amazingly close to the original!

I ProAudio company used CCD delay lines to compensate for the distance (phase) of a folded horn Bass Cabinet and the Mid / HF Box - but refused to use a PCM delayline on SQ grounds.

I designed a simple DSD based delay line using a TI true bit ADC. You could configure the board 1Bit direct or to PCM conversion (so the same Analogue stage, ADC / DAC just the mode the ADC / DAC operated) and PCM sounded Digital with everything that's wrong with it (exaggerating sibilance on female vocals, lack of leading edge transient and decay resolution etc, it just does not sound real), while the PURE 1Bit (DSD) mode was so close to the original I could not tell a difference worth caring about.

The delayline ADC operated at around 6MHz "DSD"...

Oh, found old pics of the prototype boards :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/DSD delay line.JPG

Last edited:
It is not unreasonable to expect a description of how to access basic operating functions in a machine, no matter how complex and/or sophisticated.

Old HP instruments were notorious for their convoluted user interfaces. I have one of their older 500MHz digital scopes, and I swear I have to dig out the manual to figure out how to do something as simple as saving a waveform to the internal floppy.

Yokogawa got things mostly right with their digital scopes - a reasonably savvy engineer can suss out the basic function in ~15 minutes or so, even without the manual.

You have me at a disadvantage, wrenchone. I am but an aspiring apprentice seeking a path to measurement enlightenment :worship:
Saavy engineer am I not :no:

What other T&M gear would you opine to be well thought-out, i.e., user-friendly...especially for the untutelaged :scratch:

Oh yes agreed :) True DSD (not converted to PCM) is Amazingly close to the original!

...PURE 1Bit (DSD) mode was so close to the original I could not tell a difference worth caring about. [/url]

Agreed :D What's your opinion on DoP? It seems a kludge to me :rolleyes:
I've been involved with a few scratch DSD128 (5.6 MHz) recordings using a Korg MR-2000s and am pretty happy :p

Looked at the Tascam DA-3000 (has SDIF-3 I/O), but am waiting for a similar DSD recorder operating at DSD256. It seems the DA-3000 is having a few issues :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.