Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

DIY programmable dual channel bench PSU 0-50V/3A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2016, 01:44 PM   #161
prasimix is offline prasimix  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algar_emi View Post
I'll put the connector on the other side then. Still waiting for the delivery of the last few parts to try the boards. The diode DFLS1100-7 is still B/O at Mouser, but they are expected soon...
Perhaps you can try with some other in the same package e.g. SBR1U200P1-7, DFLS1200-7, etc.
Old 10th November 2016, 09:49 PM   #162
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Got the parts, starting test of the AUX and PWR boards. SB

AUX_PS all ok, checked 12V, 5V switching supply, AC Softstart, now the PWR boards.

Last edited by Algar_emi; 10th November 2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 15th December 2016, 12:59 AM   #163
diyAudio Member

Completed the supply at last. I had a few wrong part because I kept using my custom BOM built from one of the first version of the official BOM. There was errors in it, so I ended up buying some incorrect parts. But now the BOM is mature with no error.

Then I started each PCB, starting from the from the Arduino Shield. Test it with a 5V supply, I had to reverse all red leds that are incorrectly marked, there was a mods published for that. Programmed the Arduino, but I was not able to save the display calibration. After close inspection some configuration jumper were not making contact, I used short lenght of wire. Replaced then with the proper SMD 0R jumper, and the display was working fine.

Then the rear Auxiliary supply, tested by itself. and everything was ok.

Finally both Power PCB. There was assembly errors on those, some incorrect resistors values (from the BOM), unsoldered parts ends, bad solder junction from high current pads, etc... Using the supplied testing procedure I was able to make both board working.

Then I put everything together, but surprise I was getting fault from both Power PCB at startup, and the Arduino was shuting back to standby. Problem was that the AC/DC main power supplies were not ON at startup, so it was normal that both PWR PCB, supplied from these were not working at startup!

Took me a little while to find IC31 was not working, AND gate output was always off, even with two high at the input. Replaced it, and Voilą! the power supply was working.

It was a great troubleshooting experience, and you can't beat soldering 800 smd parts, to learn how to mount them

The designer team was of a great help during my troubleshooting, with sometime custom testing programs, suggestions, and proposed tests. It was a great experience.
Thanks guys.

Here my supply pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1477.JPG (128.7 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Img_1486.jpg (122.2 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg Img_1492.jpg (163.0 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg Img_1496.jpg (128.3 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg Img_1490.jpg (150.9 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg All PCB done.JPG (146.7 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Algar_emi; 15th December 2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 15th December 2016, 06:53 AM   #164
diyAudio Member

Congratulations! It's nice to see that someone else successfully replicate it.
Hopefully it will works as intended and that firmware will do its job.
It will be also interesting to hear of your experience about programming output values with this "encoderless" front panel. Many people think that a programmable power supply must have an encoder (or two, or four) .
Old 19th December 2016, 01:11 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Not at all, the graphical interface works great, and there is no neal for any other control.
Old 29th December 2016, 12:39 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

Default M3 firmware is released...

The firmware M3 is released today. We had some interesting time when for the first time a more then one interrupt is used and spent almost a month trying everything to make operation stable and predictable. Finally we found that Arduino's SPI transactions doesn't masks interrupts properly and we have to see what Arduino team will say. Another interesting thing was related to coupling channels outputs in series and parallel. It's not so straightforward as one can think because this power supply has down-programmer circuit that can make some problem when channels are coupled in series and enters CC mode or when coupled in parallel and enters CV mode. I'll prepare a video to show what could be happen as we solved that successfully.
With this firmware we covered almost everything on hardware level (only digital input, and load/batter NTC are not addressed). Please find below the main features of this release. Shown screenshots are from software simulator. All yellow painted text represents enabled/"clickable" options (in a "follow the yellow brick road" manner).

Channel coupling
Allows doubling of max. output voltage (up to 80 V) or current (up to 10 A). Outputs are wired internally thanks to two MCU managed power relays. Presentation and programming of output values and protections are unified/centralized.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Tracking mode
Presentation and programming of output values and protections are centralized. When any protection tripped on one channel it will shut off both channel. Output enable/disable function is also unified.

Additional system protections

Click the image to open in full size.

AUX temperature sensor settings

Lock local console (touch screen)
When locked only unlock icon is enabled. Lock can be protected with system password.

Sound control

Last edited by prasimix; 29th December 2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:51 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

Latest release is quite stable and a pleasure to use. Thanks guys.
SB
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:44 PM   #168
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that. The issue with multiple interrupts generated by SPI and non-SPI sources are still open, and currently in the M3 release the "collateral damage" is that communication with Ethernet controlled stopped to work. A new topic is opened on the Arduino forum and we'll see if someone will come with suggestion or idea what is going on. Of course, in the meantime we'll continue our investigation.
Old 3rd January 2017, 03:39 PM   #169
diyAudio Member

Indeed, just tried the Ethernet, and no luck, no longer working...
Thanks
SB
Old 3rd January 2017, 03:42 PM   #170
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algar_emi View Post
Indeed, just tried the Ethernet, and no luck, no longer working...
Thanks
SB
I know, to override that please add the following into the conf_user.h file:

Code:
#undef OPTION_ETHERNET
#define OPTION_ETHERNET 0

DIY programmable dual channel bench PSU 0-50V/3AHide this!Advertise here!