Accelerometer Testing of Loudspeaker Drivers

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you are interested for measuring and studying the vibration behavior of any audio component like a loudspeaker driver, a loudspeaker stand or a turntable you could use an accelerometer with a suitable amplifier.
You could find more information in my article in Audioxpress June 2011 which is posted also online here:
Test Your Speakers? Performance with this DIY Measurement System | audioXpress

If you are interested to construct such a system you could find information here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/262944-pcb-anf-front-panel-accelerometer-preamplifier.html

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The greater limitation in the use of an accelerometer when it is attached in a driver's cone is of course its weight. The ACH accelerometer has a weight of 3 grams and could be used without serious effects in drivers that have a cone mass with weight greater than 30 grams.

Joined 2010
Paid Member

Attachments

• AP1 -  PCB and front panel photo.jpg
    AP1 - PCB and front panel photo.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 1,439
I bought one of these after Jan Didden told me he had one. It really is a very nice instrument. It is not just to mount on a driver, I have not yet used it as such, but also very much to look for panel resonances.

Before George sold me one of his kits, I was almost completely in the dark when it came to panel resonances in loudspeakers I develop. The knock test only goes so far.

In short, highly recommendable.