looking for a good rework station for $150 or less

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you can stretch to it I would recommend a named brand and have some expectation that spares will be available in the future. At work they have been through 2 low cost hot air units even though it didn't have much use. Also the airflow and temperature control wasn't very good either not hot enough or blowing every component off the PCB.
Dave at the EEVBlog reviewed a hot air rework unit a couple of years ago whoose handle looked rather like the Ebay item.
Also check out
DEADLY WIRING FAULT ; Atten 858D+ Hot Air Rework Station - Page 1
Just be aware that it is cheap so can't be expected to work as well as say a top end Metcal.

Thanks PChi, I use the metcal MX500P-11 at work and is a great system. I really don't want to spend the money on a new system,plus I anticapate the need for a hot air system in the future for the occasional BGA rework, but I think I will just piece together a Metcal system through ebay, and may buy a seperate hot air station down the road.

Thanks PChi, I use the metcal MX500P-11 at work and is a great system. I really don't want to spend the money on a new system,plus I anticapate the need for a hot air system in the future for the occasional BGA rework, but I think I will just piece together a Metcal system through ebay, and may buy a seperate hot air station down the road.

That station you linked is cheap crap if you want to depend on it as your main setup. You are much better off going used (like the Metcal you mentioned) or getting something like a Hakko FX-888D for soldering. It's a great affordable iron.

For hot-air the 858 models that were linked before are acceptable for a hobbyist. I have used several and they work. I think the thread just happened to show the one that made it past QC (yes I know none should but whatever). They work acceptably well, especially for the cost.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.