200vdc PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys, I need some advice on how to build a 200vdc power supply to drive a motor.
The motor I have will be used to drive motorcycle engines, 2 and 4 stroke.

I need to construct a psu that will control it from a snails pace upto full speed.

Here are the motor specs:
200vdc
6A
2800rpm

I need info on what components to buy and then I will build it myself.

All I would like is to place the psu in a metal/plastic box with an on/off switch and a volume control to vary the speed.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Thanks for the advice. I am well aware that DC is potentially more dangerous.
However this is the only motor that I have.
I have thought about buying an old treadmill and dismantling it to get the desired result.

The other option is AC. Maybe a motor from an old washing machine could be controlled somehow.
I have doen a quick search on Ebay and there are numerous 1hp single phase motors. Trouble is I have no idea on what is needed to control them.

My plan is to run the newly rebuilt engines with a motor to make sure everything is fine and oil is circulating etc.

In that case, you will most likely need good low speed torque from your Motor.
Hence my suggestion of using and modifying one of the existing PWM DC Motor control circuits as a more simple DC variable supply won't provide the low speed torque which you'll need.

You'll probably get more specialized assistance for this type of project over on:
http://www.edaboard.com/forum.php
Ask about suitable 'H Bridge' type of PWM output so you then only need 100V DC supply.

hope this assists
Mik

Last edited:
My plan is to run the newly rebuilt engines with a motor to make sure everything is fine and oil is circulating etc.
we towed a newly built and "tuned" car around the block.
When we got back the oil and the water had heated up considerably due to the friction heat in moving all the parts.

You could use a roller system.
Sit the car on the rollers and sit the bike beside it.

Start the car and the bike wheel turns along with the rollers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.