HICKOK 539a QUESTION

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Quick two questions regarding a Hickok 539a tube tester I recently bought. Should I have the 60Hz "test signal" going to the grid without even pressing the P4 (test) button? I don't get any kind of meter reading(on the unit's meter) UNTIL I press P4 however I'm concerned about the presence of the grid signal without P4 being depressed. Also I find that when I plug the unit into my Sencore autotransformer (and don't use the built-in line adjustment) and set the line voltage to precisely 96 volts , I read the exact voltages (filament/heater , plate, bias) that I should have and the grid signal is spot on as well at 2.50vac, .500vac or .250vac (depending on what the range selector wswitch is set at) and I have no appreciable drop for most tubes when the P4 test button is depressed. Should I be looking for a bad resistor? Short in the winding of one of the two transformers or is this related as well to me having a "grid" signal present at the pins all the time? THANKS!

Last edited:
RE Grid signal

If anyone is interested/reading this: So I did some further checking on my own and YES the grid signal should be present even without "P4" button (test button) pressed . BTW the line voltage meter is spot on as well so regarding 96v input (after line level rheostat) vs 100v as referenced on line voltage meter and in test manual, I can only assume there is a resistor that has lost some of its value therefore, setting the initial voltage at 96v compensates for this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.