Solder Fume Remover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I have posted this before,

however it's good to be aware..PTFE cable and high temperatures..

Be aware that if you solder PTFE it can at high temperatures be dangerous.

I always hold my breath or breath out as I solder. I try never to breath the smoke in.

With the PTFE red cable you do get a bit of a warning because the insulation starts to turn black only for the duration of the joint as it cools it turns back to the original colour. This colour change is often followed by a different smell so take care..

As stated a cooker hood or extractor are a must especially with no-led solders which sometimes have higher melting points.

I do also solder outside weather permitting however the breeze can cool the iron and give a bad joint..so its dependent on circumstances.

PTFE reference is here..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_fume_fever

NB I NEVER SOLDER WITH MY PETS IN THE ROOM!<<any heavy fumes go down to the floor! No small children etc. Limit exposure to just myself.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I'm not afraid of a soldering iron. I'm just offended by the ridiculous crap they try to pass off as an extractor. Extracting means to remove something, not just spread it everywhere.

Well I am with your side on that, but from the other hand very few are willing to pay the price for obtaining and installing air pipes over their wall.
Basically a bit of airflow which redirects the smoke it works as protection mostly for your eyes.
Personally I do not do mass soldering, usually in my repairs I will de-solder and solder back no more than 10 times in its application.

Well I am with your side on that, but from the other hand very few are willing to pay the price for obtaining and installing air pipes over their wall.
Basically a bit of airflow which redirects the smoke it works as protection mostly for your eyes.
Personally I do not do mass soldering, usually in my repairs I will de-solder and solder back no more than 10 times in its application.

I agree it's not really worth the expense if you don't do much soldering. I think money is better spent on a good board vice so you can solder with the board tipped towards you and a low seat so your face isn't in the smoke at all.

Soldering style is relative to human age, in young age your good eyesight helps you to do everything even by working from a distance, by the years you feel the need to get your face closer in to what you are soldering, so to have a better view of what is happening.
Nowadays components become even smaller, and this makes high quality soldering even harder.

In my age of 45, most repair man do their soldering by looking thru a magnifying lens (workbench light ) which partially protects their eyes from smoke too.
Short sight is a problem which no one can escape from it, but I will agree that with few workarounds which is not identical for every one, you can continue performing soldering by not exposing your self in high risk.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.