Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Troubleshoot HTPS 7000
Troubleshoot HTPS 7000
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2019, 09:25 PM   #51
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Richard would know more about the metering on the 7000. It was his project.
Old 24th March 2019, 09:32 PM   #52
electrafixion71 is offline electrafixion71  Canada
diyAudio Member

Troubleshoot HTPS 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I would like your comments on how well it makes the sound clearer and more accurate......

-Richard
Thanks for joining in Mr. Marsh, it's always very cool to hear from someone who designed the gear I'm obsessing over

Here's a quick overview of my experience with power conditioners in both my 2 channel and HT rigs:
  • I own a Monster/Entech power noise detector, and my house is the noisiest of any house I've tested (I've tested the homes of many of my audio enthusiast friends)
  • If I run my rig straight from the wall, the soundstage is small and compressed, and there is a noticeable hard edge or sibilance
  • The original HTS-3500 I purchased years ago improved the sound
  • I replaced the HTS-3500 with a Powervar ABC-1200 isolation transformer based conditioner (it runs everything but the power amp) as the sound stage was deeper and wider than with the HTS-3500. Also the Powervar lacks the convenience features of the Monster, and retailed for a lot more.
  • I kept the Powervar in my 2 channel rig, and eventually moved up to an HTPS-5100mk2 for my home theatre setup where it's many outlets and form factor make it practically a necessity
  • Given how the Powervar performed, the HTPS-7000mk2 with its twin isolation transformers seemed like the ultimate solution; after searching for a while I located the unit that I've been asking about in this thread (too bad it appears to be an early non-Signature version)
Do you have any thoughts on the voltage reading? I haven't put it in my setup yet.

Last edited by electrafixion71; 24th March 2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 27th March 2019, 02:57 PM   #53
electrafixion71 is offline electrafixion71  Canada
diyAudio Member

Troubleshoot HTPS 7000
So I spent some more time comparing my HTPS-5100 against the new to me HTPS-7000.

There is a trim pot on the 7000's T2 board which let me adjust the AC reading to match the 5100, which was reading the same as my Fluke 87V.

I kept in mind Demian's comment about the hum coming from the filter inductors, but I could barely hear any hum from the 5100 with the cover off, while the 7000 sounded like it was going to either launch into space or self destruct.

I foolishly convinced myself something must be suspect in the power supply located on the filter board. Since only cost a few $ in parts, I changed all the electrolytic caps (they had a date code of 2002) and the rectifiers, only to discover nothing changed. Hmm, could the transformer be on its last legs?

Then I noticed another difference between the two units...the film caps used on the filter board where glued in place on the 5100, but not the 7000. I got out my handy 3M hot glue gun and proceeded to glue the crap out the caps on the 7000. I also glued around the relays and the plastic screw terminals to kill any chance of them resonating. Now the 7000 is MUCH quieter, just a little louder than the 5100. Continuing with the damping theme, I also stuck a large piece of Dynamat like material to the chassis lid. Now with the top buttoned up, the buzz is undetectable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HTPS-7000mk2 - board secured s.jpg (668.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg HTPS-7000mk2 - damped lid s.jpg (799.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg HTPS-7000mk2 - trimp pot s.jpg (285.1 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by electrafixion71; 27th March 2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 30th March 2019, 10:25 PM   #54
SyncTronX is offline SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

Mine started "burning" again so I took it out of service. I'm runing with out it until I open it up and look inside. Pretty smelly so it's wrapped and sealed in a plastic bag.

Cheers
Old 6th April 2019, 12:57 AM   #55
SyncTronX is offline SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

What are the difference between the HTPS 7000 and the HTPS MKII-7000?

Cheers,

Troubleshoot HTPS 7000Hide this!Advertise here!