HANTEK DSO5102B 100MHZ Digital Scope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They look very similar with the Owon sporting a slightly larger screen but a bit less resolution. The Handtek is 800 x 640. I'm not sure how much that makes a difference though. The Handtek also has 100MHz bandwidth as opposed to just 25MHz on the Owon. Did you buy directly from Test Equipment Depot or elsewhere?

Yes, I paid about $258 from Test Equipment Depot on eBay. You're right about the resolution, but I'm not doing anything fancy, just testing amps and PSUs, so the screen resolution is fine for my work. It is not getting used extensively like it would be in a lab, so it'll last me a long time. Can't beat the price though.

Yes, I paid about $258 from Test Equipment Depot on eBay. You're right about the resolution, but I'm not doing anything fancy, just testing amps and PSUs, so the screen resolution is fine for my work. It is not getting used extensively like it would be in a lab, so it'll last me a long time. Can't beat the price though.
That is exactly how I intend to use it, very occasionally and nothing heavy-duty. Just looking at simple waveforms, clipping, voltages, etc. I certainly don't need a Tektronic for that. On one particular web-site the Handtek was much more expensive than the Owon. I may have to re-evaluate my 'decision making paradigm'. :)

They look very similar with the Owon sporting a slightly larger screen but a bit less resolution. The Handtek is 800 x 640. I'm not sure how much that makes a difference though. The Handtek also has 100MHz bandwidth as opposed to just 25MHz on the Owon. Did you buy directly from Test Equipment Depot or elsewhere?

The display is 800x480 and it makes a big difference. Unlike the Owon it doesn't double up the pixels and uses the full resolution of the display. It also dithers the display so you don't get that annoying stair case display that you get on lower resolution displays.

However it has one annoying feature and that is its AC coupling mode is faulty where it starts to role of at 100Hz and actually has a peak at around 100Hz. Because of this I mainly use it in DC coupled mode. Other than that it is quite a capable scope and has served me well. I have the DS5202B which has a 200MHz bandwidth.

By the way a very inexpensive budget digital USB oscilloscope is the Hantek 6022BE. It's WAY more than suitable for audio work and runs around $70 on ebay. Unfortunately, the software that comes with it is 100 layers of crap. Now why am I bringing it up? Because a gentleman on EEVBlog has basically rewritten the software from scratch. It'sin beta but its still way better than what the scope originally came with. You can use his software without the device (its free-standing so no installation needed either) just select DEMO mode which allows you to display fake waveforms to play with the features. Plus he's super responsive, has refused donations and plans on open-sourcing the code once its done.

Hantek 6022BE 20MHz USB DSO - Page 1

These are really nice scope for the price they sell for. They are available in 40k, 1M and 2M memory versions. The User interface and controls are better than comparable Owon scopes. (hardware-wise Owon is in a different league) They are not bug free but nothing really serious. With an easy software and hardware update you can unlock it to 200MHz bandwidth. 70Mhz, 100MHz and 200Mhz all use the same hardware. There is a big followers group online who have reverse engineered the schematics and provide additional information.

edit: whoops, old thread.

PC Based Scope

I use a Velleman PCSGU250. Windows based software. It is a dual trace and easily handles up to about 10 MHZ. Better still is that it contains a signal generator. There is a "Bode" plot mode that will give you a direct display of response of a piece of gear under test in real time. The software has many nice features and the spectrum analysis mode is indispensable for audio signal to noise testing and design. Currently they are running just over $140 from a number of sources. I suspect they are about to be discontinued. A word of caution on them though, in the DC mode the inputs will not tolerate excess voltages. Direct input max is about 35-40 volts, with a 10X probe you can go to 300+ and with a 100X up to 3KV if you dare to have gear that needs such measurements.

I use a Velleman PCSGU250. Windows based software. It is a dual trace and easily handles up to about 10 MHZ. Better still is that it contains a signal generator. There is a "Bode" plot mode that will give you a direct display of response of a piece of gear under test in real time. The software has many nice features and the spectrum analysis mode is indispensable for audio signal to noise testing and design. Currently they are running just over $140 from a number of sources. I suspect they are about to be discontinued. A word of caution on them though, in the DC mode the inputs will not tolerate excess voltages. Direct input max is about 35-40 volts, with a 10X probe you can go to 300+ and with a 100X up to 3KV if you dare to have gear that needs such measurements.

Actually, $140 would be about the right price point for that instrument. 25Ms/sec, 12Mhz/channel, etc. Also, don't forget the important point about those voltages. THey are frequency dependent, the higher the frequency the lower the maximum voltage. Additionally, that is PEAK voltage not average voltage. If you are measuring a 240Vpp signal, any small spike of 25% puts you RIGHT at the limit. Any larger spike puts you over and can damage the instrument.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.