HP334a distortion analyzer problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have an HP 334a with some malfuncitions:

In voltmeter mode there is a little bit of jitter meter and into 300uV setting the meter read 100uV without input.

In distortion mode the automatic nulling doesn't work anymore and the read distortion is high (1.5% from PC soundcard).

Thanks in advance for the advices.

Guido.

Guido,
I don't know if I can be much help. I do have a HP 334A although it is a different option that has all push buttons instead of the front panel dials yours has. But I think it operates the same otherwise. I don't use it very often since I also have a newer HP 339A.
On the voltmeter, if I select the 0.0003V range, with no input mine reads almost full scale (290 uV), but that is with the input open. With the input terminals shorted, it reads about 15 uV. With a 600 Ohm metal film resistor across the input terminals, it also reads about 15 uV.
The automatic nulling problem may require some troubleshooting. I have never had to work on mine, so I am not very familiar with it. But I understand it uses a pair of incandescent lamps to null the bridge that is part of the notch filter. So maybe a lamp has failed. The service manuals for most of the old HP equipment is available on the Agilent web site. The manual can be downloaded here:
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/00333-90008.pdf

The HP manuals are very good with block diagrams and troubleshooting guides.

The jitter on the voltmeter you see makes me think that maybe a filter capacitor has failed on one of the power supplies. That is pretty common in such old equipment. So a good place to start would be to measure each of the power supplies and also check them for excessive ripple.

Let me know if I can be of any further help. Good luck with fixing it.

Terry

Hi All,
I just bought a box of 10 lamps to replace the burned out lamp in my HP334A (one of the two lamps in the AutoTune circuit). I don't need all 10 lamps and am willing to sell off 6 or 7 lamps at cost if anyone needs them for repair of a HP333A or HP334A.
Mike

Problem with 333A lamps

Hi All,
I just bought a box of 10 lamps to replace the burned out lamp in my HP334A (one of the two lamps in the AutoTune circuit). I don't need all 10 lamps and am willing to sell off 6 or 7 lamps at cost if anyone needs them for repair of a HP333A or HP334A.
Mike

Mike,
I have two failed lamps in my HP333A AutoTune bridge. I ordered MOQ (10pcs) from US but they sent me wrong bulbs - 10V, 40mA instead 10V, 14mA. As it will be almost impossible to send them back (I'm in Europe and seller seems to be reluctant to admit error) and if I get the replacement they would probably be the same wrong ones, I wonder if you still have the correct type bulbs (1869D- 10V, 14mA) available?
Smelay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.