Old Table Saw: Keep, Sell, Donate? (Sprunger G2017)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would you do with an old but serviceable 8" (blade size) table saw? The machine is a Sprunger model G2017, s/n G8-26736. I remember when my dad bought it new, circa 1958 - 1960. It was used in his home shop for various occasional projects (including my early speaker cabinets) until his death in 1991. Since then it has moved between basement and garage at my mother's house a few times, and actually operated no more than a few dozen times.

I think this saw was designed for commercial rather than home shop use - for pattern makers, second-operation machine in a cabinet shop, etc. I think all the major components are cast iron. In my memory it had a smoother feel to the controls, and more repeatable cuts, than other machines I've used. It includes the miter head, rip fence, and steel stand but no extension tables. Of course, it swings only an 8" blade rather than the now-standard 10".

Its days at the present location are numbered. What would YOU do with it? So far, the suggestions include:

• Pull the motor and sell it for scrap, e.g. $40 and buyer picks up
  • Claim it for $100 figure out how to transport it to my house at reasonable cost. (I don't really want to give up the 10" blade and cast aluminum table, but my Rockwell home/hobby table saw IS showing its age.)
  • Donate it as a working machine to some charity (who?) and take the tax deduction
(I'm handicapped by a need to manage this task from a distance, without giving my mother an additional task to do.)

I know this is grasping at straws, but does anybody have any additional information on this machine? I've poked around some woodworking and antique machinery sites, and it doesn't seem to be a much-sought-after collector's item but perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places.

Dale

Last edited:
Here is a little info . . .
Thanks for those links!

I had previously found those pages but not thoroughly explored them. From literature found there, it looks like the G-series machines were introduced around 1958 and continued in production until the company got out of the woodworking machine business in the early 1980's. As best I can tell, the manufacturer's nameplate is the same as shown in the photo at http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?ID=256 . (This is much different from the nameplate on earlier models.)

Dale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.